Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to train horses to rear?

How do trainers for movies, performances, high school dressage, etc. train horses to rear on command? (Don't worry, I am NOT trying to train my horse to rear - I am just wondering :)
Answers:
i train horses to trick ride and my horse rears on command. it's different when your mounted than when you are on foot but he does both. when i am on him and tap my heels on his sides repeatedly and pull back on the reins and he rears. i taught him by trotting him at a fence and tapping my heels and pulling back on the reins and when he did rear i congradulated him.
on foot i use liberty training and i have a lead whip. i hold it up over my head and hold it out and click to him and he rears. it took a while to teach him and it wasn't an exact sicence. i would try different ways to get him to do it constantly and when he got it i rewarded him and he just kind of picked it up from there. what can i say? hes a smart horse lol.
it's one of the few things i have doen with him that i just kind of muddled my way through. i prefer to have a set pattern normally.
im not trying to be an a'ss when i ask this but if you find out it would be great to know because i want to train my horse to do that when i get it. hope you have good luck on answers and sorry again.
Once broke to general ridability, your horse should rear by heel presure(light) while gentle tight reining(it's command to back up). Try this a few times and praise him/her when you get the desired result. shouldn't take long if you're gentle and persistant.
Good luck
Well I actually trained my horse to do that... I take my lead rope and kinda tap it against her front legs. Kinda like doing jumps rope. Once she started to lift her front legs off the ground, give them love so they understand. But also make up a cue so they know its time to stop and you are finished. Like my cue is to bow with my head and she bows with me, then she knows that her lesson is over.
Get a book!
my horse just rears naturally lol!
sorry but thats sorta dumb!!!
well i trained my horse to rear by holding the reins back and smooching at him. he will aventually rear. then you praise him.trust me i have horses and i trained my world champion reining horse to rear and several other horses too.

brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment