Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How tall of a person can ride a 14.3 hh horse?

im looking to buy a horse and there's several smaller horses (about 14.3 hh) that im looking at and i was wondering how tall they could be trained to jump and how tall/short of a person could be on them and jump them without putting strain on them
Answers:
I'm 5'7" and 125 pounds, and my horse is 14.3hh. It really depends on the horse, and your weight. However, a very tall person on a small horse looks goofy, as long as your not to heavy it shouldn't matter. My horse jumps 3ft right now, and is schooling 3'3". There was a 14hh pony doing the Rolex comp.. it just depends on the horse.
Like my instructor always says. It's not the size of the horse, it's the heart of the horse.
It is more the persons weight not highet that are the major issue.
It's not so much the height of the horse as to his build ... I have a 14.4 hh QH and I am 5'5" but he is a thick quarter horse. If you are a light build person, you should be fine. If he is a lighter build horse then jumping should not be a problem for him. Your best bet would be to talk to a riding instructor and if you have one near you ask if he/she would mind looking at the horse as a prospect.
I dont think tall is the problem. I've seen 6'2" men on 14 hand Arabs. Weight would be my biggest concern. Although you might look like a scare crow on a broom if you were really tall on a short horse. Have some one take a pic of you riding the horse and look at it and see if you and the horse (fit) each other. Me I love a big horse but some times I look funny on them just because I have short legs, but that does not mean I cant ride them. So to me think weight not height.
I agree with the above. It's not height it's weight. BUT, if you are showing the horse it would be a bit different.
You need to make sure that your proportioned to the horse. You will need to take in effect the muscular build of the horse as well as the height. A heavier muscled horse can take a taller person and still look good.
If I had to answer this simply, I would say for a 14.3 H horse, I would go with no taller than a 5ft 5in rider.
There have been one or two ponies who've reached Grand Prix level, but those are pretty rare. The 14.3 mare I competed on for years (I'm 5'5") had her best success in the 2'6"-3' hunter classes. She could go higher, but I noticed that the effort was a lot greater, so I kept her below 3 feet for the most part. Really the height they can comfortably jump depends mostly on the athleticism of the individual horse.
Personally I love the small horses. You can usually get the "slightly too big for ponies" at a very reasonable price and there isn't much they can't do! My new horse is also 14.3, and I'm sure I'll get around to teaching her to jump once the basics are done.
Like the others have said, it's weight more than height that sets the standard, but if you're planning to show in hunter or equitation classes, you don't want to look freakishly out of proportion with your horse because that can affect how the judge scores you. (Jumper classes don't matter at all though - it's all about clearing the fences for those.) For serious horse showing, I don't think I'd want to be over 5'6" on a 14.3 horse - and even that's probably pushing it. But if you're looking at unrated shows or just to jump for fun, it wouldn't matter nearly as much.
Hope this helps!
It really depends on how tall you are. Since pony's (14.2HH horses) are shorter, they tend to be slimmer, if your fat, then it will look bad. So if your fat get a taller horse. And I would say that you should be under 5' 4" for a horse that small. I would consider larger horses anyways, they have less of an attitude (TRUE FACT)
my arba is 14.3 h and i am like 5.6 and i am not that big on her if u are 5.8 or bigger get a bigger horse
also, about the part about how tall they could be trained to jump, it completly depends on the horse and the ability because you cant do more than a horses ability. A horse that size just competed and completed the Rolex. You just never know. Im 5'10 and ride horsess smaller than that for training and once in a show but like everyone else as long as you dont look funny, then the only issue would be weight.
i'm 5.1 and i ride a 16hh horse. he fits me fine. i think it depends on the weight of the person for jumping.
Im 5ft 7 %26 have a peruvian that i ride that is 14.2 hds.itsnot the persons height its the weight .A horse can handdle 1/2 there weight.
it dosn't matter im 5'9" and ride a 14.2Hh arab.
i dont think it matter for size of person and for jumping start low and go higher as long as there not fat
If you want to jump you do want to be appropriately matched with your horse in terms of height. I'm 5'6" and I can get away with riding a horse that size, but I'm pushin' it. If you are going to get taller than 5'6 any time soon, consider a larger animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment