Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How often do you worm your horse?

I went down to the feed store to get some wormer for my 2 horses and she (owner of 20+ years) told me that I should be ok to only worm them 4 times a year since I dont take them anywhere and they stay in the same pasture all year. I know some people do it more and some do it less. How often do you worm your horses?
Answers:
The owners is right! I do the same, but also get tube wormed every 2 years. I feed them M.F.A. easykeeper 11% and they stay slick, coats are shiny. Thats what your looking for!. I have a feeling since She owns a feed store, and has horses, She knows whats she talking about. Get redy though, you may get alot of different answers.
Every 8 weeks, I use Zimectrin Gold! lol
Hope this helps!
i worm mine twice a year...spring and fall.the only other time i would worm is if there are signs of worms. my horses are in great health.
Well it all depends at where you are boarding your horse. Some places will not let you board if you don't worm your horse, so you have to get it done every 6-8 weeks.
Plus i personally think this is better because your horse doesn't spread anything :)
(so that is what i am doing)
You'll hear different answers depending on who you ask. Personally, I've always had the best luck with a rotational worming schedule where the horses are de-wormed every 4 to 8 weeks. Just because your horses aren't travelling DOESN'T mean they aren't at risk for worm. Actually, because they're in the same pasture all year, unless its cleaned out daily, they're at high risk for worms.
When you think about it, the reason we have to worm our horses is because they eat so close to where the defecate. Ivermectin and other wormers are safe for human consumption, but we don't have to worry about worms since we don't eat on the ground near piles of manure. Feral horses aren't as prone to worms either because they roam and thus have the space to graze far away from where they defecate. Pasture-boarded horses have only a limited space to eat, and the manure is rarely cleaned up to degree it should be. Because of that, your horses are prone to worms.
I recommend keeping both horses on the same schedule. Rotate the active ingredient in your wormer so that you're using at least 3 to 4 different types of wormers each year. If you're worming them for the first time in a long time or if you suspect they're infected with worms, it's safe to worm them everyday for a week with an ivermectin wormer. After that, wait a month to two months to worm them again with a different type of wormer.
she is exatlly right bout once every 3 months
Every 8 weeks and I worm my foals 10 days after birth and every 4 weeks until they are 6 months old
You should worm your horse every 6-8 weeks.
Want a perfect worming program? Have your vet do a fecal ball float. The fact that you don't travel and aren't exposed to exotic conditions is a factor in the worm mix, as well as pasture hygiene, but for the perfect right dose right time , you need to have the vet see what type of worms we are dealing with. Tapeworms are difficult to control and the chemical that kills tapes is more expensive than the others, so why not target the type of worms that your horse has. Take manure to your vet and have them look a the worms that are vexing your horse and create a worming program specifically designed for your horse. I have done this and some of my horses get de-wormed twice a year, some get done every month and some are on continuous wormer. Your vet will be able to tell you more by examing the fecal balls and suggesting a worming program than me at my computer. Check out THE Horse.com. A magazine for horse owners written by veterinarian standards. (and No I don't work for them)
once a month
hey this is the girl u talked to im the one that owns 338 acres of land that is so werid cuz u know wha i live in shingletown its an hour away from redding that is so cool can we talk some more

1 comment:

  1. I worm my horse every three months and I paddock rotate at the same time. It's good not to use the same wormer every single time otherwise you risk the parasites becoming immune.

    ReplyDelete