Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How often does an adult horse have to be dewormed?


Answers:
Should be wormed every 6 to 8 weeks and wormers should be rotated and strongid double dosed, spring and fall.
every 3 mos.
At least 2-3 times a year. certain species of worms will become desensitized to the meds if you do it too often. make sure to rotate the meds because of this too. i use zimectrin/ivermectrin and then go back to something different on the next cycle.
I usually deworm mine every four months, which works out to be once a season. So that's what I would say, but you might what to ask your vet just to make sure.
Deworming your horse depends on how many horses it is stabled with. If you are at a boarding barn, most will have schedules, usually every 8 to 10 weeks with rotational wormers. There are so many to chose from. I still use the traditional, ivermect, panacur, strongid and safe guard. I have my two horses home and I only need to deworm them about every 3 to 4 months. I always have a fecal sample performed about once year. Sometimes these can give you a false positive, because horses are usually shedding worms..you just look for a low count. Talk to your vet about that. They will be able to advise better given your location and where you plan on stabling the horse.
Depending on how you stable your horse, what other horses you have with him/her(for example a new horse arriving), size of the pasture. It is always important to change wormers to make sure you kill all the worms and they aren't immune to it. I would say every 6-12 months but i have heard of people worming every 2 months because of the size of pasture.
I reccomend Zimectrin or Zimectrin Gold
you don't have to worm a horse it is just a good idea to worm them every 2 months to keep them healthy so they can perform at there potential for there whole life. it is also a good idea to use a different kind if wormer every so often so you don't get worms that are immune.
i do all my horses every 8 weeks.
Six to eight weeks. I alternate worming with a broad spectrum worming one time and the next use a fairly generic wormer. I've never had problems.
every 6 weeks or as directed on your wormer
You are going to get a lot of different answers on this one. A lot of people say 6-8 weeks, I agree with that rule if your horse is stables with others or travels.
Some people (me included) worm every 3 months cycling with the seasons because there are different worms at different times. My horses are pastured and we don't travel with them. They are ranch horses that just get trail ridden on our own property. You also have to look at how clean thier area is, if there is a lot of old manure you might want to do it more frequently.
I would say those are the 2 most common rotations for worming (I asked this same ? awhile ago). You just need to analyze what you are doing with your horse and put them on a worming schedule based upon that. Also use different wormers each time, Good luck!
paste worm 4 times a year, as long as you use a top of the line wormer, stay away from the cheap stuff, tube worm every 2 years, and your set!
I deworm my horse once every season of the year, and that schedule is working pretty good. Watch for bots in the summer!
God Bless
It depends on your worming schedual. There are some wormers that are given every day mixed in with there food and some that you can give every month. But I find that the best kind is every other month with a rotated schedual-- this way you can attack different kinds of worms and can be most affective using different kinds each time...
I deworm my horse, Jima, every six months, just because I get the really strong stuff. It really depends on your horse, how much contact he may get with infected material such as dung, and what wormer you use on him. Some people may do it every 4 months, every 6, 5, 3, 2. Like I said, it is more preferance and personal info which decide that.
Every three months unless you take a horse poo sample to your vet and get them to check the worm count and then you may only have to worm a couple of times a year.
it can depend .like what kinda area you live in
i would say every 6 - 8 weeks..
whenever you do it.. the most important thing is to rid your field of poo otherwise this will completely defeat the object..
Your horse should be wormed every 3 to 6 months depending how often the horse is eating off the ground and not out of a feeder. That is were they pick up most pests. Another good indication is if his Or her coat is dull. Then the horse most likely needs wormed.

No comments:

Post a Comment