Thursday, July 30, 2009

HoW To GeT A HoRsE!!!!!?

I really want a horse!!
I am jumping about 2'3. I have only been riding for 10 months. I am willing to give up everything to get a horse. I am old enough to drive so I can go to the stabes whenever I want. I am willing to go to the stables every day to ride. I don't mind doing any of the dirty work like mucking stalls. I understand that horses are a ton of work, but i am willing to do anything. Money is not the problem. The problem is my parents won't let me get a horse or even consider getting one. How can I convince them to let me get a horse? Do you think it sounds like I am ready for a horse?
Answers:
Sounds like you have the passion to have a horse. Have you ever mucked stalls for any length of time? It gets old fast. I remember that feeling well, and I've had several horses since. I would first start by showing how serious you are by doing the work you described. My parents were the same way and my first horse was given to me after doing lots of hard work and showing I was serious about horses. 30+ years later I still ride and still feel the same love of horses. If you purchase a horse, keep in mind, you get what you pay for! I've rescued a few and they have been the most challenging of all that I've owned. I understand your parents side, horses can be dangerous (after so many years of riding just yesterday my tb rescue bucked me off with NO WARNING and trust me I'm lucky to be alive. This happened after a year of dressage training and he'd been going well). Show them just how serious you are, stick to your guns and I promise, you will have your horse. Keep in mind, it may not be tomorrow but eventually every person that has a deep passion for horses finds a way. Good luck, and always wear a helmet!
Elaborate on money is not a problem. Horses are expensive, bills can run into the thousands. Your parents may not think your responsible enough. Also, you're 16 and will probably be off to college in only two years! A horse is a lifetime commitment.
I don't think you are ready for a horse. Get a job, get your own place to live, and then you might be ready for a horse. That is a large animal that requires a ton of resposibility, take care of yourself first, then try a horse.
Go to a Pet Shop And Buy A Horse !!!!
Even thou money may not be this issue, it's probley an issue to your parents. So if your old enough to drive im sure your old enough to get a J.O.B. then talk to your parents about it. They might think diffirent or just wait till your an adult and get one. I have been around horses for a long time, and sayin you have no problem cleaning up after them is one thing but really doing it is much diffirent!Sorry to be mean but that's the way life is in these situations.
Man, I know JUST how you feel! There were times when I was nearly sick, I wanted a horse so badly.
It's good that you are willing to work for a horse -- but are you also willing to work to keep your grades up? And to keep up with your chores around the house? THAT'S the kind of responsibility your parents are looking for.
Ask them what it would take for you to get a horse. If they still say 'no way' -- then I'm afraid you will just have to wait until you are on your own and can afford one yourself. Believe me, you'll survive.
But you might want to consider what you want to do with your life. Horses are EXPENSIVE and you won't be able to afford one with just any job. You might have to go to college, just so you can get a job that pays well enough to own a horse. That's what I did -- and I FINALLY got my dream horse on my 23rd birthday. It took that long...but it was WORTH THE WAIT.
Good luck -- I hope you get your dream horse someday -- soon, if possible!
Good points here to consider!! If you are old enough to drive you can look at this situation in a couple of ways but... before you dive in head first, look for a stable where it may be possible to work off a lease deal on a horse. Experience is priceless and since you are close to having your own life, it just may be the right place to start. Get all the knowledge of care, expense, general horse ownership resposiblities. This you may be able to do on your own, not relying on others to get what you want. Invest your time, not your money. horses are much, much more than just "owning a horse". Leasing is the best bet at this point in your life, you can get a real feel for what you want and still not be tied down to a real ownership. Your young, take time and experience as much as you can before you tie yourself down to ANYTHING too serious. Prove you can do a lease, be under the care of a professional and learn to care for the animal, then if you still want to go that route in a year or two, your parents might look at the situation a little differently and support your dreams. If they are skeptical now but buy for you, and then you get hurt, they will know they bought you this animal against there wishes... they will never forgive themselves for going against their initial feers and never agree to you moving forward. They are your parents and I haven't seen any who want to see something bad happen to their children... Most often they just don't know how to speak their real concerns and just say "NO"!
Have FUN while you still can and take it slow, you have years to enjoy this life if you decide too.
If you've only been riding 10 months, you might not be ready to own a horse yet. I think you should consider leasing first so you can get a taste for what owning a horse is like. Your parents might not want you to get a horse because they think you have a short attention span, money (I know you said money isn't an issue, but a lot of parents don't elaborate on if they're having money problems with their kids) or they're saving for your college tuition, the fact that you will be going to college soon and will get caught up in that, etc. There can be a multitude of reasons. I'm in college and have plenty of friends who ended up selling their horses because they couldn't afford college and their horse or they're major is so demanding they have trouble fitting in time with their horse or they simply got carried away with partying and the freedom college had to offer. I also have friends who are in equine studies and completely devoted to their horses. It feels like it, but 10 months really isn't that long when it comes to horses. Owning a horse is a long term commitment - I've owned mine for 6 years now, but she's only 20. She's still got a ways to go (and I love my little witch too much to part with her once she retires). Until you have more of an idea where you want to be in a few years with college and such, I'd hold off for now and lease. You can do a partial or full lease (a full lease basically feels like having your own horse and depending on the terms of the lease, can have the same financial impact) which will give you more riding experience and every thing else that comes with owning a horse - scheduling farrier, vet, checking for cuts, putting antibiotics on cuts, putting hoof ointments on, etc. Good luck!
Discuss leasing a horse with them or a half-lease. This way, if it doesn't work out, you're not stuck trying to sell it, which is often what parent worry about if there are no other issues-financial or otherwise. A lease allows a taste of horse ownership- the cost and the privileges, but if it's a bad match, all you have to do is wait till the lease runs out or cancel if the contract permits it- a lot easier than trying to sell. Leasing is a great first option rather than owning.
you might start by compromising with your parents. If money isnt the issue, maybe they think the responsibility is. Have you thought about leasing a horse? It can be for a month, season, year or whatever. Some people dont have time for their horse because of college, a new baby or something else in their lives. You get the privilege of riding a quality mount, taking care of it, keeping up with your shows and events, and finding out what its like to own your own horse, with out really owning it. If it doesn't work out, you can "ride" it out to the end of your lease and move on to something else. If it does, than you can prove to mom and dad that you are worthy of such a responsibility. Just remember, although it seems like he his your horse, just remember that it does belong to someone else and that great care should be used to protect it and keep it safe.
Your best chance is to show them how committed you are, not just tell them.
First, get with the stable owner where you ride and ask for help compiling a spreadsheet of expenses and how you plan to meet them.
Second, if you don't have a job, get one, and save your money for a few months.
Third, show your parents how the money you saved would be used for expenses.
In the mean time, ask the stable owner what you can do to make yourself extremely useful. Clean stalls. Turn out. Grooming. You do this to build reputation and gain their confidence, so you can ask if they would recommend you as a "lease" partner for a boarder who may not have time to ride and work their horse as much as it needs.
A big key here is balance. Don't let the obsession (I can call it that because I have it too!) take over and distract you from other obligations. That could be a big factor in the "no" equation.
If your parents still say no, it's hard not to be emotional but do your best not to respond emotionally. Try to calmly and respectfully ask them if they can tell you their reasons and ask if there is anything you can do to change their minds.
A horse is a huge responsibility. I know with my kids, I look at how they handle their other responsibilities before letting them take on another.
Good Luck!
I bought my first horse when I was 13. Paid for it by babysitting, trading work (for pasture rent), and other odd jobs. My parents had NO IDEA. (Not a very good choice, now that I'm an adult with kids)
I had to sell it when my family moved; luckily it was easy to do.
When we got settled at our other home, I found a veterinarian that needed help at his stable. I cleaned stalls and fed horses in exchange for riding privileges. (a FREE lease, basically). I had no vehicle, so I'd get up at 5:30AM, ride my bike to the stable, clean stalls, feed, and ride my bike to school just to do it all over in the afternoon.
There were other boarders who saw my dedication and offered to GIVE me a pony! I got a job at McDonald's to pay for stall rent, feed, and vet care. I still worked for the vet and he took me on trail rides where I got to use his horse. It was a lot of fun.
When I outgrew that pony, I sold it and bought an Anglo-Arab; again, without my parent's knowledge. But, I was paying for it without my parent's help. To make a long story short, I had an accident that nearly killed me. It was my senior year in HS and my spirited horse decided to run away. She ran into the street where she began sliding to the other side; when her front hooves hit the shoulder her back hooves slid from under her, she fell and rolled over on top of me.
I spent my Spring Break in the ICU with a fractured skull, amnesia (to this day I still don't remember the accident), hallucinations, and VERY ANGRY parents (who made me sell my horse).
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is find someone who will allow you to 'share' their horse. Get all the experience you can; even the most experienced person can be injured by an unpredictable (and usually gentle) horse (Think: Christopher Reeves).
Your parents are probably being careful. AS I said before, now that I'm a parent I realize what I did as a teenager was WRONG and dangerous.
Why don't you ask your parents to let you lease a horse for a month and see how you get on with that before you go buying a horse of your own? That way you can see exactly what you're getting in to.
BTW, money may not be a problem now for your parents (who I presume will be footing all the bills here) but owning a horse is an extremely costly hobby and when the costs are thousands per year they may not be able to afford it.
I know how you feel, I would love to own my own horse too. Why don't you see if you can get a job at your local riding school or livery yard. That way you get to know all of the day to day things that are involved in looking after a horse. Once your parents see how commited you are maybe they might let you get a horse on part loan or share a horse with someone.
there are some thing you must consider before you get a horse.
Are you going to college? if so you don't have time for a horse just buying it and in a few years selling it just isn't right .
If you have the Time Love Money and Care I think you are ready buy i do agree if you are going to buy a horse you need your own place
But I would go for it
Good Luck
Sadie
It sounds like your dedicated and that is good. First start by showing them you can care for a horse. Work at your barn and much out stalls. Also act extra responsible. And raise your own money and tell them you can afford to buy your own!
Try telling them you will do extra chores, pay for whatever you can, and PROMISE you will be VERY responsible for it. if not, it sounds like you may be moving out soon. Well, you may have to wait until you move out.
equine.com
dreamhorse.com
equinehits.com
LEASE!LEASE!LEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment