Friday, July 31, 2009

Hunter Bit?

What in your opioon is the best bit for riding hunter?
Answers:
I think whatever the horse goes in best.
Most hunter horses go in a snaffle. Some full cheek, some D-rings, some Eggbutt.
It really depends on what shows your going into and the bitting rules, and what your horse rides in the best.
It's not the bit, it's the horse that makes a good hunter.
I like a copper eggbutt. Especially for a slightly harder mouthed horse.
Over fences or on the flat?
I prefer a snaffle with a slow twist or a Kimberwick with a broken port.
I personally use a hunter D ring and sometimes a Eggbar. A twisted snaffle might help, but it differs.
I ride hunters in a d ring snaffle. Part of it is made of copper for extra responsiveness.
I like any type of snaffle, but the severity and harshness of the bit just depends on the individual horse. Find out what your horse works best in.
a D-ring is the bit of choice but any snaffle is acceptable (full cheek, loose ring, eggbutt ect). Check with the rules to make sure that the mouth peice is ok to compete with (if it is twisted wire it might not be allowed)
rubber eggbutt snaffle
I like a hard-rubber pelham.

No comments:

Post a Comment