Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to drive horses or ponies?

My parents just dropped the "hey hon, we're moving" bomb on me. I have been riding since I was two (mainly english / hunter type). I haven't ridden in 4 years because my mare was in an accident (she broke her hip playing with another horse) and could only be ridden by small children. I have had to put her down last week due to increased arthritis.
I really do not want to ride anymore because my mare was my best friend for 13 years. However, I really miss having a horse for a friend.
I was thinking about getting a pony and learning to drive. What are the pros/cons of this? How much do good ponies cost? How much do carts cost? I am 5'11" barefoot so are there any driving pony breeds that if I ever wanted to ride again I could (my friend has a really expensive N. Fjord and she is 5'6")? Where do you drive horses? Would I like it? Are there in teachers in the barren land of St. George, Utah?? (Yeah- I really do NOT want to move.) Any and all information would be great!Thx :)
Answers:
Sorry about your horse and move..
For driving, you really need to learn from someone experienced before you would ever attempt to do it by yourself. Driving is by far the most dangerous discipline. I drive both my show animals (mule and donkey) and my mules show cart is a meadowbrook type and if he ever got snarky, I would die, there is no way to get out of it in an emergency.
Harnesses will run you around $300. I prefer biothane more than leather because to clean them is so much easier. For shows, I throw it on my mule/donk and wipe it down with a rag. My friends are spending days oiling their leather harnesses.
Carts, I would recommend whats called an easy entry cart for a beginner horse. It will run you $450+ and also shipping. Never get anything less than an EE when starting an animal to drive.
Fjords are very nice animals and I think could carry you comfortably. They make nice driving animals also.
I don't know anyone out that way sorry, but contact the American Driving Society, you can google them and see if they have any members.
First My heart aches for you - Im sorry for your loss.Your mare is waiting for you on the rainbow bridge.She is with you.
Second - take a breath or 3 - dont rush right out and get something new.
Im sorry that your having to move -and I know your hurting right now but look at it as a new opportunity to see new barns and meet new people.
As for driving horses - I love morgans - love love love them,they may be small,but if you getting into driving you wont be able to beat the mentality and the willingness.
Im so sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry about the move and the horse and everything! That's awful.
Driving is SO MUCH FUN. I've only done myself it a few times but I've been to many a carriage competition, and it's really an entirely new way of experiencing horsedom. Ponies are less expensive than horses as a rule, but nice ponies are more expensive than not-so-nice horses. If that gives you an idea. Carts do tend to be pretty pricey. Then you've got to get harness; I recommend Zilco because you can just hose it off when you're done, but it's almost as nice as leather to work in. Any animal will drive; I've seen anything from a miniature horse to an 18+ hand Shire pulling a cart, so there's no real limit. If you're just learning, though, a pony will without a doubt be easier to manage than a Shire. I'd go with a large pony or small horse; get an animal with stamina, but a temperament you can work with.
CDEs (Combined Driving Events) are basically the driving equivalent of eventing. Dressage is dressage; cones compares to showjumping; and marathon, the most fun in my opinion, compares to cross-country.
Driving is great. I'd definitely look into this if I were you. I know nothing about St. George, Utah- however, as far as teachers go, you may not find one who's a professional carriage driver, but you'll probably be able to find someone in the area who knows what they're doing. As mentioned, it is dangerous especially if you don't know the horse and/or what you're doing. You do need lessons. It's also generally a good idea to have someone around to help out if you need it. (And always do things in the right order- when you're done working, never, ever, ever take off the bridle before unhitching.)
If you want to get some more info, try these sites.
http://www.americandrivingsociety.org...
http://www.carriage-driving.com... (a British site, but good)
http://www.azcarriage.org (the Arizona Carriage Driving site)

No comments:

Post a Comment