Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How much would you pay? Serious answers only?

He's 6 years old, broke but hasn't been ridden a lot in the last year or so. He walks, trots, canters w/o bucking. Backs. Stops. All with a snaffle bit. Its not just what she said I did ride him this evening.
He is registerable paint, I believe, but she doesn't have the papers and to track them down would be more work then its worth being he's a gelding and I only trailride. You can see his little tiny white spot on his right side that gives him the right to be called colored. lol. He's a red dun. About 15.1 or so-I didn't measure just a guess.
He is UTD on everything but farrier work. I had my farrier come out with me tonight and she said feet are a little flat but not too bad and otherwise in good condition.
He stand quietly tied, accepts fly spray, saddles up easily, easy to handle with feet. Comes running for attention.
Answers:
Sounds like he has a little more training than the little registered purebred Arab mare I sold for $700 a couple weeks ago up here in MN. I reckon I'd pay about $700-$800 for him.
500.00
you should post what she asked for him. You can get some good horses for cheap if you know horses and dont let anyone rip you off. But I love him already! by the way the person who said 500. doesnt know horses. he is worth alot more then that. but thats not to say that you cannot get a real good horse for that. because you can. you just have to know the tricks of the trade.
No more than a thousand. yes hes broke but not really trained. Yes he is a registered paint but no flashy markings and no papers. Yes hes friendly but no matter how you cut it hes going to take alot of work and attention.
8-900
Depends on how much horses are going for in your area. Here in Northwest Arkansas, they are going pretty cheap. I'd say from 500.00 to 800.00 if he doesn't have papers and you're going to use him to trail ride mostly. It sounds like you're pretty confident in him so that counts for alot in my book. That would be the only reason to pay a little more than that. Good Luck.
have a veet check him and suggesst a price
1000-1500, he is a gelding so registration doesnt mean to much then. if he is a steady mount and good for what you want, he could be worth his weight in gold. what is he worth to you? with him just sitting around and not being registered im sure you can haggle with his price a bit. we just sold a gelding that was a solid BS paint gegistered for 1500. his sister we just sold for 3200 though. and they do no more than the one you are looking at. it also depends on how fast the person wants that horse outta there. we went from 2900-1500 on our gelding, becasue he wasnt worked that much and he is a gelding.
The horse market is down in my area so it just depends. If you are getting a horse just to ride on trails that isn't spooky and loads in a trailer well you might be gitting a good deal, but keep in mind that after so much time has went by since he was seriously ridden you might want to think about it a little more. In my area some registered horses are going for about $500.00. I would say though that the horse might be worth $1000.00
answering from NE Iowa... from your description if I were selling I'd ask $1000. and that's the top I'd give for him. In this day and age, the only thing that would be a red flag, or at least pink... is that she doesn't have his papers... makes me wonder about his history. As someone else noted, there are a lot of horses out there, but not a lot that you can saddle up and go on.
A Good Horse is a personal choice. The amount a horse is worth is only as much as the customer agrees to pay. I just sold a unregistered purebred Arabain rescue horse for $600.00. This horse was not nearly as far along as your horse plus she didn't load. She is 7 yrs., is UTD and in great physical and sound health. I thought I was doing well given she was professionally trained but not ridden in 3 years and is a little high strung and needs lots of work. The horse sold to a gal in Illinois. I based my horse on the sale of the horses from the horse rescue groups in the area. These rescue groups have plenty of horses for sale, sometimes it's a hit or miss but they have an exchange program and adoption contracts. Something I follow suit on, given this horse that I sold was a rescue horse. I also know that horses are selling for less money now, especially without papers, due to the problem with the last slaughter facility not in operation, or not for long anyway. There are a lot of horses for sale. But think about it. If you go somewhere else to spend less money you have hauling to consider and with the price of gasoline it wouldn't be cheap. Then if you were like me you would have to have the horse vetted, checked by a farrier and maybe even ridden by your trainer or somebody you respect to give you a second opinion. That is couple hundred right there. Plus, the time and gas it would take to search for a horse, ride it just to move on the next available horse for sale. Not to mention you already know this horse and have a relationship with him. Something you may not get to do if you search for a horse elsewhere. Unless the horse is outragiously priced I would stick with your gut and buy him, and I have a feeling you want the horse. You describe the horse as really liking and respecting you too, that's half the training right there, getting that horse to trust you and he does, I say buy him He is also a great young age..Good luck! He really does sounds nice! PS wipe the fly spray on for now. Get him used to the fly spry by spraying it around him but not directly on him yet, in time he'll be fine, remember, he trusts you!
I too would not pay over a $1,000.00 for the horse. A few years ago I could buy good broke trail horses, grade, for around $1200.00 here in MN. The market was much better.
$500-600 at the very most! Horse market is way down now a days. Come here and you can get a professionally trained w/90 days riding for about $600 at the most. With no kill market open, price of horses is way down.
I would pay around $800. $1000 at the most, but not more than that. No papers...sounds like he hasn't had much training...
Not more then $1000
without the papers and if she lost them tough...he is not registered as far as you are concerned.
gelding so no chance of studding out...{which is not what it is cracked up to be anyway}
you only want a trail horse so a good sound, sane horse is between $500 and $1000!
no more than $1000 without papers and more than just the basic training you are describing. Even that price is high for an essentially 'green' horse.
A friend of mine bought a buckskin registered QH with a lot more training than the horse you are considering yesterday for $850.
Well done here a good ,Arabian stallion is for 5000 dollars so I guess I would put 500 to 1000 for yours
He sounds like a pretty good little horse but not being a stud would lower his price I would say right at $1,000 would be about right.
In california he could go for 2,000 EASY.
Search dreamhorse. Fill out with these points: Winsoncsin, gelding, similar training. Then see what you get
He sounds like a lovely horse!
Anything over 1500 bux is too much in a good market, but is he everything YOU want in a horse? He sounds like it, so the thing is...how much are you willing to pay? Depending on the local market, this price may be way less for a good grade gelding, which is what he is. I think you're paying for attributes you like here versus a breed/show prospect. He has many good years ahead of him and fits your needs. I just wish we knew what his asking price was... but that's usually a starting place and you can usually dicker the price down some. Heck with the papers, they'd have no real value anyway as he's a gelding and you don't plan on attending breed shows, just be a lot of trouble. He sounds like a dream boat to me... where's he at?
It's hard to say, not seeing him, his confirmation, movement and having more details but I'd say the general price for a horse like this would round $2,000 or so, give or take a bit depending on how the horse market is out there. By the sound of yours she might be asking for a bit more. But i'd ask for papers before anything (if being pure really matters to you and if she is pricing him higher because he is 'pure')
If he is really that reliable I would pay maybe $1,000 or $1,200 for him, being a trail horse
2000.00$ Nothing more. Where I live you can't find that cheap of a horse worth a darn!! 500$$ is cheap! I am from southern CA %26 now in Vegas. So over here that would be the going rate.
Around 2000-3000, but if it is really hard to find a broken horse then around 3000-4000.
I wouldn't pay more than a couple thousand for him. He's not registered or trained in anything special as far as I know.Did she say anything about how spooky he is? I would ask that if you're going to trail ride him. He's not very experienced and he's pretty young.
Wow... all of these answers are low. I need to move where you people are. :) Anyway.I did a little checking online for horses put up for sale and sold in the last 90 days in Wisconsin. It looks like maybe 2000-2500 would be about the price range he would fall into. The only reason it would even possibly get lower is due to the registration issue.
Around here a nice broke 6 year old gelding UNregistered with the training it sounds like he has (assuming good conformation/looks) would go for at least $3000-$3500.
Sounds like you like him. If that is the case, then he is worth whatever you can/want to pay for him.
Good luck!
ok. please listen to me when I say you will not get a good horse for under 1000 unless you pull some strings or have connections. I would pay around 2000-4000. If you can get him cheaper go right ahead but the prices I would pay for a horse like that would be in that range.
Well from where I live I would pay about $750-1500 on him. He sounds really nice, it isn't very often you come across a horse like that with no major problems, I speak from experience. He is probably worth more than that, but the market has been down quite a bit lately.
Around here, he could probably go for as much as $2000. He's not registered, but he sounds really broke. He's pretty young too, so you'll get plenty of years out of him, and he'd probably have a good resale value, too.
400 tops, he is 15 no thousands not in this case. No more than 500. 15 is old.

No comments:

Post a Comment