Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How tight does a Wonder Bit need to be in a horses mouth?

I have heard that it doesn't need two wrinkles. So does it need to be looser or tighter, or is it fine at two wrinkles. If not then how loose or how tight?
Answers:
I think it should be fine at 2 wrinkles...that's how I adjust pretty much any bit with a snaffle mouth. If it has a curb chain, then not so tight.
at a 45 degree angle in the horses mouth and then hook the curb chain so that it is flush (but not tight) against the chin.
also two wrinkles is correct
2 wrinkles.
Yes, two wrinkles is as tight/loose as it needs to be.
We have always taught our horses to hold the bit we use the wonder bit and it is wonderful as long as it is the sweet iron. But a horse should be taught to hold the bit no wrinkles is the goal your horse is happy and you will be as well my horses have no wrinkles and they know how to hold a bit with out any pressure it brings a better riding experience English or western. But that is just my opinion many people have been taught that there needs to be wrinkles in the mouth for control and best bit fit really its what makes your horse feel most comfortable in my horses case and many others I have ridden this way there is no wrinkles because horses are smart animals and they really can hold the bit themselves. Some people have argued that it will go under the tongue but I have ridden for over 20 years that way and it works great. I was asked many years ago to hold the sides of my mouth with pressure not so tight but enough where it would be the same as a wrinkle or two and after some time no thank you. It was uncomfortable think about the horse and how sensitive they really are when we ride them the right way with very little pressure they move on and off of the leg it works the same with the bit.
You will find that the wonder bit sits lower in the horse's mouth if you simply swap bits without adjusting the bridle. Mine hung so low in my horse's mouth that I had to tighten it up two holes. He carries it with one very small wrinkle and it seems to be perfect, otherwise it was hitting his teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment