Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to talk your parents into getting a horse of your own?

I really love horses and my parents tell me I'm a great rider. They also always tell me that we can't afford a horse. I really love the horse I ride and he loves me. Please help!!!!
Answers:
Perhaps you might just consider the fact that no matter how much they love you and say that you are a good rider, they just can't afford it. End of story. You don't know what their real financial situation is, what they owe or pay out and it might just not be viable for them to get you one. Sometimes we don't always get what we want and it's a hard but valuable lesson best learned young. Give them a break!
um if you live on a farm then thats a start
Can you aford to lease? If you are a good rider, maybe you can work at a stable in order to ride their horses. A girl at my barn cleans stalls and sweeps and she rides about three different horses aday. She rides my trainer's horses and other people's horses.
Horses cost a lot of money to keep. If you are old enough, you could get a job to help pay for it. You might also be able to find a barn that would let you work off part of your horse's care. Maybe you can convince them to let you do a lease of a horse. That way you get the joys of having a horse without the financial responsibility.
I always loved horses as a little kid, so my parents got me riding lessons at a local stable. I spent the next 4 years out there at least 5x a week cleaning stalls, feeding, grooming, basically working my butt off. Once i proved to my parents that my heart was really into this stuff, and I was responsible, they bought me my first horse.
Remember, the actual cost of the horse is NOTHING compared to (usually monthly) payments for food, bedding, medicine,shoes,tack...the list goes on and on. Make sure you are aware of this incase you have to pull your weight in the costs. Also having your own horse is a huge responsibility (I know I know, how many times have we heard that one..) but you never really understand it until you get one of your own.
When your horse is healthy, daily care is required to keep him happy, but also have a good bond. When he's sick or wounded, plan on spending a lot more time and patience around him than usual.
Good luck, even though these guys are a huge responsibility, they pay you back triple fold :]
First of all; accept it. Your parents can't afford it - and I'm guessing neither can you (right now.) Don't whine and beg and scream, just accept. It's responsible and respectful.
You don't have to purchase a horse to be able to ride it often. A much better idea for first-time owners is a lease. Inquire in your barn about that. It's usually so much cheaper. You can figure out times you want to ride the horse, any costs, etc. If you still can't afford it, you have more options - ask about a work/study position. That means you work at the barn (there are many things you could be doing - mucking stalls, helping lessons, pony rides, whatever) and in return, you get to ride that horse you love for free or for little cost. If you don't want to work (trust me - it's NOT as easy as it sounds!), you can take up another job. I dogwalk and babysit. Both are good paying jobs. Or you could water plants, house sit, or whatever. Look around for anybody wanting a worker to bring in the mail/walk the dog, etc.
Be responsible and respectful. Remember your parents have been supporting you all your life, and they're trying to save to send you to college and help you in the future. It'll serve you well to respect their financial situation at the moment. Maybe one day you can have a nice fancy horse and board at a nice fancy barn, but not right now.
Once you figure out how to lease your horse, have fun with it. Focus on any issues you and the horse may have - maybe your seat isn't right, or he won't bend at the trot. Try working them out. It'll make you such a better rider.
As for what path to go, I'd recommend working at the barn for your lease. You learn a WHOLE lot about horses and how to deal with them - remember, when you get a horse one day, you'll have to be mucking stalls and feeding them too! It'll make you a more responsible person, a better rider, and a more knowledgeable horseperson.
Good luck, and I hope you really figure out how to do it!
Do a search on the other billions of these same questions asked daily. Always good answers on those....
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I've just been offered a spot in the advanced group at my barn. That means I'll be riding with the girls who show, and own and board their own horses. I'll be learning a LOT, but be surrounded by girls my age who are fortunate enough to have their own horses. I've had many talks with my parents, but in reality, ownership is just not an option. We just don't have the time, nor the money, even though there are 2 horses at my barn that would be just PERFECT for me. So my plan is to get myself through veterinary school and then buy myself a horse once I'm financially stable enough to support it.
So my advice to you is be patient. If your situation is as similar to mine as it seems, you haven't even finished high school yet. Just be patient. We both have our whole lives ahead of us to own as many horses as our hearts have room for.
(I answered this on a diff. question)
all my life ive been begging for a horse! the answer was always NO! and i used to take lessons but my trainer moved to florida ask your parents if theres a local barn or stable. Go work there for free (or money) and show your parents that you can handle the responsibility of owning a horse. Ask the owner of the stable if you could ride a horse once in a while if you keep up with your work. Then ask the owner if theirs any horses you could lease for a short period of time and see what he/she says if its yes... come up with the 1st month of fees on leasing that horse/pony and show your dad that you truely CAN handle and own a horse... be sure your up to the task of feeding, grooming, cleaning its stall, bathing, exercise and everything else before you ask your dad and say "well dad ive been very happy working with the horses their and have earned enough for the first month of leasing (the horses name) and i would really love to leasing him/her. Could you think about it and if i keep working there maybe i could earn enough money to pay for it all or if i go everyday and help out with everything i could lease him/her for free!" go and talk to the owner of the stable and work out an agreement. I hope this helps
Well I have a horse. I'm lucky that I found her if you want to find a great horse that you are riding look in the newspaper in the wated ades nex to the jobs add and after that try earing money by baby sitting , a yard sale. I know how it feels, you'r realy eger to get somethig and you can't get the money from you'r parents.
If you live in a neighborhood, prove to your parents that you can work for money, petsit(take care of pets for people), babysit, do yard work, etc.
I know exactly how you feel, since I'm in the same situation. First of all, I have to say, if your parents say they can't afford it, then they are probably right. It IS very expensive owning a horse. You also need to make sure you have enough land. Also, horses are herd animals, so unless you KNOW you'll be out with it most of the day (and not riding all day either, mind you. We never think about the stuff that you do off the horse.) then you should think about if he'll need a friend.
Also, you need to know you'll be responsible enough to care properly for a horse. Be honest. Would you clean out a stall every day for him? Would you make sure he get's all the vitamins and medications he needs? Would you make sure he doesn't get bored, unhappy or is in pain?
If you know you can do all this, then try talking to your parents. Mention things that show you were responsible. If you have land, see if your parents would let someone board a horse there first. They can get money, and you can get a test run to see how it is taking care of a horse. (this is what I did.) Good luck!
I would read over this article that I am going to give you the link to with your parents. Then discuss whether or not your parents are willing to spend that kind of money and if you can take the time to spend time with the horse and have you actually take care of it, instead of leaving it up to the barn where you would board it. Hope this article helps and good luck!
http://www.equine.com/horse-cost.aspx...
LEASE LEASe LEAse LEase Lease lease. My horse that I bought in January was a horse that I started leasing with the option to buy. I leased until I had payed off the amount of money necessary to buy the horse and it was worth it
Like i said before LEASE LEASe LEAse LEase Lease lease
Goodluck
If they cant afford it, then thats that.
You can always look into leasing, which is much cheaper.
When i was younger i took lessons at this one stable, and they offered me a lease on a horse, if i came to the barn three days a week and cleaned the stalls and fed all the horses.
I didnt have to pay anything, and was able to use the stables tack. Perhaps if you are taking lessons at a stable right now, you can talk to them about arranging some sort of agreement like that?
Another possibility would be that if your old enough, get a job, to help pay for the expenses, and show your parents that you are responsible enough to own your own horse.
I hope i helped! and good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment