Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to get a horse?

I really really want a horse but my parents wont let me and wont give a good enough reason.I think it is because they arent animal people. I have never wanted anything this badly in my life i keept thinking about what it will be like when i own a horse. I know about all the responsibilities and im looking forward to just spending time with a horse grooming, bonding, even cleaning manure. I also know how much money it will cost and could pay for abour 95% of costs. I also know of lots of agistment places that i could get to after school. Please help what can i do to convince them
Answers:
They may not be able to afford it. A horse, if you can keep it on your own property, will cost at least $200 a month for food and other regular care.
If you board it someplace else, it could cost anywhere from $200 to $800 a month.
Some places have a "lease to own" policy, where you pay a monthly fee to ride someone elses horse, while it is kept on their property. they may also include riding lessons. After you have paid a certain ammount, you get to keep the horse.
I think leasing is your best option. You will not be stuck with the responsibilities of owning a horse, and it is cheap.
On your own, call different horse stables and such in your area, and find which place has the cheapest and the best offers. Explain the situation and they might help out!
After you have made a list of 2 or 3 places, show your parents your hard work. if they see your persistance and understand how simple it is to lease a horse, maybe they will let you!
also, suck up a LOT and do lots of chores around the house for NO MONEY. this shows you are RESPONSIBLE and gives them an idea of how well you will take care of a horse!
i dont think i whole own of a horse is right to start of wit mabye get a part loan and prove to them that u can look after it and u would still get tha time to bond
Do you have any other animals eg. dog? Owning and being responsible for a pet for some time will show them you are able to care for an animal properly, and then they may let you get one. Take riding lessons to start and see if you can just have a look and talk to the instructors before and after lessons when they are grooming/tacking up/rugging/lunging the horses so you'll get all the right advice on how to do things properly. Also, if you can see if you can practice doing this on one of the quiet horses there. I'm still only a beginner, but my first lessons at a friends place were great as they taught me how to rug, bridle, groom and tack up properly before and after lessons. lol-I'm still not very good as I haven't been able to get any more riding lessons since, because I need to go to another instructor as my old one works somewhere else now. Sorry this is probably a waste of advice if you've already done this, but the fact you can pay for it is great! My horse is getting the dentist out soon, and I told mum and dad I would pay for this as they pay for the feed and bought my bridle and saddle, but I payed for the rest of the equipment. Good luck with it! Just try and get into their good books by doing more chores! (not fun, I know! but worth it if it works!)
hello.I am so glad to read your question beacause I am like u.my parents didn't let me to have a hourse.they said this is very expencive to have a hourse.(I belive this.)
can I have your yahoo ID?I realy like to meat u!!
I had your same sititution before, and the best thing is just to wait. Don't bug your parents. With the money you have right now, buy the horse stuff you can- ex. grooming supplies, manure forks, lead lines, etc. (don't buy things that need a specific size) Buying these things shows that you are serious. Cheap dewormer costs about 3 dollars, and you need that about every two and a half months. trimming your horse's feet cost about 25 dollars on the low side. DO NOT shoe your horse unless you really need it. shoeing is a money pit for me cause i don't earn alot of money as a 13 year-old. i only need my horse shoed if i go on the road. shots everyyear cost my about 100 dollars- (I have a very cheap vet :))))) Hay around here cost about 2.75 a bale and only one horse should eat 15 or so a month. you may need to grain your horse, but you may not. I get Stragedy by Purina - only 12 dollars!!! I usually need 2 a month. i have to take care of my horse all by my self with my own money so be pre-pared not to go on any shopping-sprees for a while:) Cheap fence is electric wire- i highly recommened it...it's cheap and it works! don't worry, my parents thought me wanting a horse was a phase that would pass, but once they found out i was serious i made a deal with them- in 4 year i would get a horse. and i did- and a year earlier then i expected!! don't worry, you'll get your horse, i know it's tough to wait!! best of luck to you and your future horse!!!!!:)))))))))))...
If your parents are really against it there's not much you can do. I would suggest finding ways to prove that you are responsible and learn as much about the time and effort it takes to care for a horse as possible, and show them what you know. It takes a ton of time and money to care for a horse, with emergency vet bills if they're hurt, regular vet bills, shoeing, etc.
If that doesn't work, be a big girl and get over it, find other ways to spend time with horses, maybe half lease one.
I'm going through the same thing! But you first have to remeber that horses are expensive. And, I know you said you would pay 95%, but what if, for some reason, you can't and your parents have to pay. Now obviously, your parents won't let the animal starve, they'll pay, but what if they don't have the money? Also, How old are you? Maybe they want to be sure that this horse won't be like a toy that you throw away. My Dad told me when I was 14(ONE MORE YEAR!! WOOO HOO!) I could get a horse. My Dad also told me that it wasn't about the money. I think he wants me to learn how to wait for something.
So, maybe you can make a deal with your parents, when you're (insert age) you can start looking for an in expensive, calm, horse.
Now, to make them relieze you're serious about this horse is a little tricky. You have to make sure they know it's NOT a stage.
Do you take lessons? Maybe you could come early to the barn and help out then get a free lesson and your regular one. Or get a free lesson, and see if your parents will let you put the money from your lesson in your "Horse Fund".
You could also subuscribe to a magizine about horses. I'm subscruibed to "Young Rider". I read it all the time, and it helps me become a better rider, and it shows my parents how much I love horses. You should also read alot of horse books. I read about diferent breeds of horses so I'll know what kind I want when I can get one.
The most important thing is: DON'T BUG YOUR PARENTS!! Just leave them alone for a while, and be thankful for what you have. Don't give up on the horse, but don't be saying all the time "Mommy amd/or Daddy?? Why can't I get a horse?!!" You will DEFINATLY not get one. Now, you could mention how your lessons are going and what you plan to do with your horse (western pleasure, trail riding, jumping, dresage, etc.) when you get one.
I hope I helped! Good luck!
You don't mention if you're already spending time with horses. The others who posted have given you great advice. I'd only add that if there are stables near you, start spending as much time there as possible. That will not only get you even more ready to care for your own horse, but also let your parents know you're serious. And saving your money toward the expenses of a horse is a good plan too.
Although your parents' reasons don't seem good to you, I can promise you that they make sense to your parents, and there may be things they are thinking of that you don't know about. Trying to argue them out of their reasons won't help; it'll probably just make them irritable about the subject!
Your best bet is to listen to their reasons, and if there are any that are under your control (like, "we don't think you'll stick with it" or "You don't know anything about horses") quietly go about showing them that you can do it, rather than just telling them. Actions do speak louder than words.
If you show you're dedicated to horses and responsible enough to, for example, work for free at a barn, save your money, teach yourself about horses AND keep up with your other obligations like school and chores, your parents may relent. And at least by helping at a stable or farm, you'll get to be around horses.
If they don't come around, remember that you could get into horses in college or even as an adult, so your dream can be realized at any time of your life!
do you ride? if not then your moving waaaaaay too fast! riding is a lot harder then it looks. start by taking lessons, then lease one of the lesson horses you really like, then you can talk to your parents about buying.
Ok, figure out all your costs. The horse itself is the least expensive. Find a place to board him/her and what that would cost. If you find a place to board, do they include hay, or do you have to buy it? How about grain? If you don't know how to ride, lessons? If the horse isn't trained, would you have to send it to a trainer or have someone help you? If you start riding, saddle, bridle, saddle pad, girth. even if you don't ride, you have to have a halter and lead rope and your basic grooming supplies. Fly spray. and what if you want to give him/her a bath? Shampoo, conditioner? helmet? how are you going to get the horse to the place it will be staying? all of it costs money.
so lets see, we have the
horse-boarding-possibly hay and most likely grain-possibly lessons and a trainer-saddle-bridle-girth-sa... pad all having to fit the horse-halter and lead rope-fly spray-grooming supplies-shampoo and conditioner-a way to get him/her there-and most of all, a helmet. not to mention, an untrained horse can be dangerous, you parents prolly don't want to see you get hurt. so what you have to do is find out how much everything listed above you need and the cost, save up for it so you have all the supplies and a place for him/her to live. make sure the horse you want is a mare or a gelding, not a stallion. make sure it is a calm horse that is your size or bigger, you don't want to grow out of it, i would say something along the lines of 15-15.3 hands high would work. then you need to talk to your parents once you have all the money to get everything. work hard, show them that you are serious and aren't gunna change your mind about it later. once you're ready to get one, and have all the money saved up, they should give a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment