Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to do flying change in canter?

i dont get the flying change. and how do i get the horse to do the rite canter in the first place?
Answers:
To get your horse to canter on the correct lead, first establish and steady trot. You cannot establish a steady canter while charging in a trot. Ask for a half-halt, pull-release-pull on outside rein (use leg as well to keep the horse trotting), and slide your outside leg behind the girth and keep your inside leg on the girth for impulsion, which should encourage the correct lead. Flying changes are easier in figure eights. While approaching the intersection of the two circles, switch your aids. Your horse may trot through the transistion, but try to get the canter as quickly as possible. With time, your horse should be able to switch leads as soon as you reach the intersection.
You have to give the horse the correct cues at the correct time to get the correct lead in the canter. The horse must also be balanced to depart into a canter on the correct lead. It is much easier for a trainer to teach you in a lesson situation...they will see what you are doing wrong(or right) and be able to guide you. You need to work on getting correct canter departs before you worry about flying changes. The horse needs to be balanced and the rider needs to ask correctly to get a flying change...like I said, work on canter departs and get those perfect before working on flying changes.
The easiest explanation for picking up the correct lead in the first place is to slip the outside leg back and ask strongly with that leg more than the inside leg, but keep a firm pressure on with the inside leg as well, and keep the nose to the inside. I cannot explain a flying lead change to save my life so someone else will have to tell you that.
You will want to get the horse to take correct leads in both directions before trying a flying lead change."kindergarten before high school...to get to college."
Now, in order for you to be able to get a correct lead change, I suggest a round pen to start, if you have one. When in the round pen, the area is small enough to almost "force"a correct lead. When he is in a correct lead, he will feel comfortable...
There are cues from your reins and legs you need to give to get a correct lead change...
I suggest getting someone to watch you or give you lessons.
Also, Books, and DVDs are excellent for tools if you cannot afford a trainer.
Good luck-happy galloping...
You definitely want to work on your leads first.
When I am breaking 3yr olds (who know little to nothing about what I want) I work in circles. A horse who is moving in circles is more likely to pick up the correct lead (rather than moving in a straight line), although I can't speak for all of them. There are definitely horses who don't.
I begin by putting a bit of pressure on the inside rein to ask her to move this way and apply slight heel pressure back behind the girth with the outside leg. I keep in touch with her mouth from time to time to keep her working that circle. When I am comfortable and she is comfortable, I kiss and encourage her on. If she doesn't pick up the correct lead, I try again. I do the same thing going the other direction.
Flying lead changes are easier for me to teach while doing figure 8's. I will work the horse in the right circle, bring her to the center and ask her to stop. From there, I ask her to move out in the left circle using the cues explained above. If she picks up the correct lead, she comes back to the inside and is rewarded.
I didn't brand it into her head daily... we worked on lead changes every other day and only about 10 minutes.
By the time I was done with her, we could canter a straight line down the center of the arena doing flying lead changes on command. All I had to do to cue her, was nudge the rein and tap her lightly with my leg and then switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment