Monday, May 24, 2010

I might get a new horse, and I'm excited, but nervous?

The horse I have been training with was sold =[
and I'm tired of all the horses I ride being sold ( I know thats the horse world ) but I want to get a horse of my own. But I'm nervous because what if something happens and I mess up, or what if I can't do something. That's what makes me nervous.
I have been riding + jumping for a while
Answers:
Horses are like kids. you do the the best you can and they usually turn out O.K. If you need help, ask for it. I think you will do just fine. You just need to believe in your ability to be able overcome new challenges.
I have had and grown up around horses all my life!! When buying a new one go and spend time with the horse ( just you and it ) also make sure that you ride it. Pickup the feet and touch the ears and several other places to make sure that the horse does not mind. By doing these you can tell alot of things about the animal!!
hi
You can only learn from each other. Of course you will both make mistakes from time to time but that is the only way you can learn. Each horse is different as each rider is different. That is what makes riding so exciting it is never the same. If it were it would be so boring. The more I rode the more I got to know my horses likes and dislikes and some of the weird quirky things she would do. Take for instance I was riding with a friend and while we were running our horse mine comes to a stop while my friends kept going just ahead of me. I realized she was off balance and new what was going to happen. Just as she was bringing her horse to a stop she falls off. She wasn't hurt thankfully. She got up to get her horse but she was a bit spooked and she couldn't get close enough to get her. Frustrated she sat down and asked if I could catch her. I tried to ride up to her horse but my mare would not budge. No matter what I did she would not move. It was then I realized it was because my friend was sitting instead of standing. I had to ask her to get up so my horse would be able to go get hers. She has done this numerous times on trail rides because of mistakes from me or from novice riders falling off their horses. If anything was wrong with my riding gear such as a forgotten throat latch not being buckled she would not let me on her. My mare was a full-blooded Mustang. Best horse I ever had.
I wanted a horse all my growing up years. It wasn't until I was a mother that my husband surprised me with one. Best gift ever! Guess what happened 7 days ago...I found a horse in my back yard! Honest! We have searched and searched for the owner and no one has claimed it. He is so beautiful and follows me around like a puppy now. Obviously, he was ignored or even neglected. I live out in the country so he had plenty of grass to eat while loose. I've wormed him and feed him well plus he and my horse are pals. I hope the owner stays away. Good luck!
just go around your riding stables and ask them the basic on taking care of a horse. I am pretty sure they will show you the things you need to know
Well you must remember horses are pretty expensive and they need an acre of land, a barn with plenty of feed water and bedding. You also must buy blankets and grooming gear. Although if you want one that much don't worry. Everybody makes mistakes with their pets sometimes. Although don't focus on the bad things, focus on the happy things youll get to do with your new pet. (Remember this is probably gonna cost you over 100,000 $) it only might
I think if you know that you will be able to provide food, water, shelter, exercise,and above all, love, you would be a great horse owner. I was nervous that I would mess up my first horse, but as long as you know what your doing, you'll be fine.
Hey I really hope you get your horse. It is very exciting but nerve recking. Just make sure you know what you are doing. Read lots of magazines and articles about horse care and attend as many camps and clinics as possible, also if you can join 4-h as a horseles person and it will be a great chance to learn more about basic care and go in depth with a particular topic.
Here are some things you might want to read:
http://www.youngrider.com/horse-care/def...
http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/he...
BE PREPARED, have a list of emergency contacts, keep a 1st aid kit and know how to use it, for your first horse board at a barn where there are experianced equestrians to help you.
BRING YOUR TRAINER AND VET WITH YOU, when you go to buy your new horse bring your trainer along to make sure he/she is a suitable mount. Also have the vet check the horse before the final purchase.
PLAN AHEAD, know before you buy where the horse will be staying, get an estimate of costs, make a check list of everything you will need, plan a well bablanced feed and deworming scheduale an know how often you will be able to go to the barn.
KNOW WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF AN EMERGANCY, as I said keep a list of contacts and know how to use your first aid kit. Be sure to know how to treat a cut, swollen leg, etc.
KNOW WHAT HORSE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, know what discipline, age, temperment, and size of the horse that will be suitable for you.
It is a good idea to lease first but as long as you know what you are getting into you can go ahead and buy.
Here is a list of all the supplies you will or may need:
Bridle
Blanket
Saddle pads
bit
girth
crop
longe line
longe whip
halter
lead ropes
curry combs
hoof picks
hard bristle brush
soft bristle rush
man/tail comb
cowboy magic
shampoo
conditioner
sponge
mitt
sweat scraper
fly spray
hoof polish
fly mask
grooming tote
dewormers
leg wraps
vet wrap
first aid kit
thermometer
thrush/antifungal
vet patches
tack trunk
multi-purpose cleaner
horse treats
fly repellant wipes
shipping boots
saddle
stirrup leathers
stirrup irons
sponges
Best wishes with your new horse!
is this your first horse then you should be ( I was)
take a experienced horseman to help you see all the small detail's that could ruin everything
make sure you ride it before you buy it servile times that way you will know the way his mood's are
good luck
Sadie
Finally, someone who is looking for a horse who actually seems to know about them!!
Getting a horse is very exciting, but there is always something to worry about because so many things can happen. You seem to know what you're doing though if you've been around horses and training them. All you can do it be the best prepared you can be. Set aside a little fund that you add a bit of your paycheck to for horse emergencies. Buy an emergency kit (you can get them at tack stores or state line tack or dover saddlery) that has some hydrogen peroxide, wraps, etc. in it. I have a book...quite thick, it has all sorts of horse medical stuff in it so you can know what to look for if your horse starts acting off - it's called the Horse Owner's Veterinary Handbook (Howell Reference Books) by James M. Giffin and Tom Gore. It's a very good book to flip through and learn different ailments for horses.
Also, remember that taking a horse takes time - I know people who take up to 6+ months to find the perfect horse. So, don't rush into anything and while you're trying to find that perfect horse, try to spend time with the vet when he comes to see the horses and don't be afraid to ask questions. Read books, talk to other horse owners or your instructor. Not everyone knows everything to know about horses, so if something does come up with your horse, don't be afraid to ask someone. It's better to be overly cautious then pass everything by and have it develop into something worse. Good luck!
omg i want a horse...
youll be fine. make sure you try out as many horses as possible. a lot of times people will try out just one horse and buy it, then they did out they really dont like that horse. i would also suggest vetting it, and looking up its vet history. just spend sometime with it and ask lots of questions. GOOD LUCK!
I understand what you are going through. I have always ridden somone elses horse and I am now getting my own. It can be pretty nerve racking. The last thing you should be worried about though is messing up, because you should ALWAYS be working with a trainer. Your trainer should be there with you going through the purchasing process and there after to work with you and your new partner. Good Luck!
DO NOT WORRY WHAT YOU FEEL IS TYPICAL FOR FIRST TIME OWNERS JUST ASK YOUR TRAINER OR WHOEVER YOU TRUST THAT HAS A HORSE BACKROUND AND THEY CAN GUIDE YOU ! GOOD LUCK AND DO LOTS OF HORSE SHOPPING!

No comments:

Post a Comment