Saturday, May 22, 2010

I have a lesson tomorrow, and I'm still nervous from Ell refusing repeatedly last time and almost throwing me

Any advice on how to keep my mind off of that when I'm tacking up and getting on? I'm sure it will disappear the first time we clear a jump, but I want my flatwork to be decent before that so that he doesn't get even more nervous than usual.
Answers:
Never EVER be nervous. When your nervous , the horse is nervous. Here's how I learned:
It was my first riding lesson EVER when I was 5. I was so nervous. I nearly wet myself on the horse. ( Lol!) . Scince I was nervous, my horse was nervous. He got worried %26 took off . I NEVER wanted to ride again. I HATED horses.
When I was 7, I tried it again. My Dad told me to relax, %26 being nervous will make to horse nervous. I relaxed , %26 I had one of the best rides on my life. It was so fun! From that day, That horse ( whose name was Hidden Power ( AKA- Darci)) became mine %26 I loved it, %26 to this very day I still LOVE it.
Good Luck!
Well when i was 8 i as taking lessons and got bucked off and broke my arm. I almost did get back on i almost told my grandpa to get ride of my horse bc i did want to get hurt. but i relized that horses were/are to important to me to give them up.so if you really love horses and feel like you have a tital to get back on dont let anything stop you.good luck
Well, never be nervous, because when you are nervous, the horse is.
Once, Sage, my horse, I was nervous and she wasn't working as ahrd as I knew she could. Then Imy trainer said, be anxious, she'll feel it when u do. Want it. And I did. And you know what? That horse took offlike a rocket around each barrel. So remember, you just have to trust the horse and make sure it is comfortable in the saddle and everything, an dmake sure, she knows who's boss kay?
you'll do wonderful :].
i rode horse and i got thrown off and stepp all over and broke a rib. didn't ride for a week or two.
I know everyone is telling you not to be nervous, and they are right. If you are the horse is also but the thing is not to be discouraged, think of all the good times you have had with your horse for a few minutes before you mount up. While doing that take a couple of deep breaths to help calm you down and get you relaxed a little bit.
I know this is hard because I was on a trail and I had to stop and all of a sudden for no good reason, except maybe a dog barked nearby (i don't know), she reared. I didn't fall off luckily, but I couldn't control her and was scared and embarrased in front of all of my friends. Then, there was this time I was lounging a mare I was leasing for 4-H and she bucked once, then twice, and on the second one she hit my arm and caused a giant purple bruise on my arm with a pretty deep cut. That happend the day I was suppose to show at the Fair but I took deep breaths and thought of all the good times I had with the mare and it helped me get through the show.
Basically what I am saying is, sit back (well as best you can) and relax, and think of the good times with Ell and take deep breaths. You'll get through it just fine! If you still feel a little uncomfortable, if you can get someone you trust to ride Ell and if they do a good job, more than likely you will do a good job too!! =) Good luck!!
If you are afraid or nervous, you should NOT try to hide it from your horse. You will be sending mixed signals and THAT is what will make your horse nervous.
If I am scared, I admit it to myself and my horse and then I talk about how we are going to get through it. I remind myself that we are a team and I have let go of him bucking me off b/c it wasn't personal. I run through the task successfully in my head a few times and then I ride it.
Take a Ju-jitsu class so you can learn how to fall and then practice off a mat, or even a couch, just don't dive onto concrete, lol. If you can train your body to tuck and roll if it is coming unhorsed it will be second nature.
Ignore any wankers who are giving you a hard time. They are likely jealous b/c you have a chance to ride and they don't.
Overall, try to be calm. The horse can sense your insecurity, and that can provoke another throw. Just think that your horse is the best behaved horse ever! lol ;D
Just believe and trust in the horse and your self. If you are willing to brake every bone in your body what are you worried about. Forget the bad and ONLY think of the good things that WILL come if you just trust in your self, your horse and believe you can do it then you will, even if it takes more than 1 try to get over the jump, keep tying.
i know many people have told you stories but when i was riding my young QH in our gully paddock i was EXTREMLY NERVOUSE simply because last time he was taken in to the gully paddock he saw a snake and bolted(since then we have cleaned up) so i was nervouse and the horse could feel it. On the path infront of me was a bendy stick and at the first glance it looked like a snake and i went ohhhhh my god and i got such a fright and the horse shyed anway from the stick and bolted. So that proves a horse can tell how you feel
once i had to ride this tiny black pony bareback because he only had a western saddle. i kept slipping off his fat back, and he almost stepped on me. the next day we had a beach ride, but i told myself how other more experienced ppl had fallen off this horse, and if i did, it was no big deal. it worked, except even though i wasnt nervous, he still was because of the crashing waves. he kept trying to run away and rear, or follow the other horses cantering. it was the scariest ordeal i have ever been through. the only thing i could do was to gripreally hard with my legs. i also hate it when a horse refuses, and its because of the rider (me)
Of course you will be nervous and thinking about what happened last time. You are human. The trick is routine and just getting the leg up. As you catch Ell, tack her and groom her, the motions become automatic and comfortable, and you just go thru the motions and keep busy. there is comfort in what is familiar, and soon you and the horse will relax and get comforatble, and every day as your routine progresses any obstacles, old or new, will crumble before you. So get your horse, rub her well, do your flatwork till you feel good and when you are secure that you can do the job, your horse will trust you and have no choice but to try and keep up with you. Oh, and 99% of the time, what went badly yesterday will work out smoothly today. It is the challenge that keeps you coming back. Have a good ride!
Behonest with your instructor and if she is a 'good one', she will concentrate today on regaining your confidence such as flat work, going over small jumps things that you know you and Ell can do flawlessly. Those will help you immensly.
Don't worry about doing a big jump today, just know you have fear issues- we all get them- and work on things to help control them such as I mentioned above.
What helped me is that I prayed before each lesson. It helped a lot and that way, I could take my mind off falling and stuff. Also, my trainer said 'you are a better rider than that. Trust Gable to make it safely down the line" and I did. It was kind of, I don't want my trainer to know, so I will be the best I could. A year later and I haven't fallen off! Gable even spooked at somthing transitioning from a canter to a trot (so was I) and he popped my butt out of the saddle but I stayed on. Just remember, do what your trainer says and say 'easy' if you feel Elliot go out of control. Right when he refuses, keep him moving so he doesn't try to throw you. If you don't feel comfortable, tell your trainer that you don't want him to refuse again. She will understand and set up some small jumps and have you work on something else, then maybe go back to the bigger jumps.
Or your other option is getting your own horse that doesn't have a stupid/mean/refusing bone in his body like mine and still jumps. He refused twice, but it was nothing big. He was testing me and so yeah, I could feel it up to the line a bit. Plus I am used to refusals like that...Gable did them all the time.
I am not sure what type of refusals he is doing, just relax and think happy times.
One thing that is good to help get rid of nervousness is singing. Just sing softly to Ell while you're riding. It will help you relax, and in turn, him. Plus, you'll see his ears keep flicking back to hear what you're saying, so you'll know he's paying more attention to you than usual. Talking is also a solution- but I really just prefer singing (it seems to work better). Also, if you think about keeping your breathing at a consistent rate, it will help your body relax and keep your heartbeat from speeding up and making your horse nervous.
Also, focus on your position as you warm up and on the flat. Push down your heels, keep steady contact with your legs, don't let your legs shift around. Focus on letting your seat move with the horse- you'll feel more secure in the movement and less likely to fall off.
Good luck with your lesson!
On occassion I'd have a pretty bad day with my mare. It helped if we had a second horse handy. My trainer would do alittle flat work with my mare while I regained a little confidence and calmed down doing flat on the other one. It helped just to have a horse I didn't have to worry about and to see that my horse was in a different frame of mind and going well. Then we'd switch do a little more flat and get into jumping. It always worked for relaxing or destressing. If you have the option give it a try. Otherwise my best bet would be to do a little lunging and really get an idea that he's in a more willing attitude and fairly relaxed. This might help you kow his mood before you get on and be less concerned about "what he might do" Good luck I know how being nervous builds on you even when you try to keep calm. I hope he's great
get over is u fall off u fall of my last horse bucked eveytime i road suck it up and get over it
Just concentrate on what your doing and that you're going to do it properly also it helps that you think about the steps that you do it in (jumping for example) it always helps me
First when your riding dont be nervous. your horse can sense it from the way your riding. make sure you take a deap breath when you go to relax yourself. before you get on take your time grooming and tacking up your horse so you can bond with him/her. Talk to her and pet her. feed her a small carrot even. If you have to get there a little early. Dont rush take time to take care of her. And when you ride her try not to get frustrated at her when she doesnt respond to your aids of when she refuses a jump. When your on the flat just walk her around on a loose reign and talk to her, pat her, and watch her ears. If one ear is flicked toward you and the other to the front then you know you have her attention. If you ask her to go to the trot or canter and they dont respond then ask again. If they still dont respond then ask them a little more. and on the third try use your voice, reigns, and legs (if you have your crop use that too) to tell them that your in charge. when they do what you asked them to do reward them.
Now when you're jumping and they refuse the jump walk them up to it. and let them sniff it and look at it. sometimes they see things that you cant see or they think the jump looks wierd. sometimes its you. before you jump check your position. your hand up above and infront of the withers, your heels down, back straight, and your up out of your saddle. If nothing still works have your riding instructor lower the jump or if you going at it from the canter try it at the trot. You could also just go over another smaller jump to get your horse thinking. Sometimes scratching or kicking or hitting it before they should jump is a good way to encourage it. you can alway try talking to them to soothe them. when they finally get over it reward your horse.
Riding is always about your relationship with the horse. not the way it behaves and preforms. so try spending as much time with your horse so that they can learn to trust you.

by the way if you need more advice then just IM me at lilyxohorses
just start over. i've had to do that a few times, as in eventing you fall off a lot:). it's a new day, a new horse, and just forget everything that you learned. add things a little at a time, like nothing, then look up, then sink down into you ankles, then add more, like keep him between your legs, there is a lot of things for you to think about, just keep it one at a time. also the moment he relaxes at all, you have to reward him. he won't buck you off if he's relaxed!
good luck! i know how you feel!

No comments:

Post a Comment