Monday, May 24, 2010

I know I already asked this, but I have an addition to my horse question...?

Thanks to everyone who answered me about leaving my horse outside! I live in PEI, Canada, and it's fairly warm out right now so I'm leaving her out for the night. A lot of people mentioned having a "run in shelter" for her in the pasture, but we don't have one connected to the pasture right now. We will be building one ASAP, but I'm wondering if she's okay out there for the night even though she doesn't have a shelter (aside from trees), but it isn't raining or windy. Also, our cows aren't out right now, but will be in a few days--but will my horse be too lonely for the night out there? I'm sorry if I sound redundant but like I said I'm a new owner and pretty nervous. For those of you that didn't see my previous question, my horse is a 20 year old Quarter Horse mare--happy and healthy--I ride her almost everyday and was keeping her in a stall at night until the last couple of nights--she has plenty of food and water.
Answers:
I live in Alberta, Canada, where it can get minus 40C in the winter with a wind blowing! My horses never live in a stall and they do very well. In fact, a horse that is kept outside 24/7 has less arthritis, colic and many other problems that we cause by trying to treat our horses the way we think we'd want to be treated! My local equine vet says that horses are better if left out at night, even, although that is acceptable depending on your circumstances. And when I have my show horses bathed they sleep inside, but that is an exception and not the general rule in their lives!
Horses need to move as much as possible. Grazing and walking help keep good circulation in their legs and hooves, therefore lessoning the chances of your older horse developing arthritis. Grazing constantly helps your horse avoid ulcers or other stomach problems. So you are probably doing well for your horse.
But there are a few things your outdoor horse does require. Horses produce heat by digesting fiber. Therefore in cold weather your horse require more food than usual to eat. And a horse always needs warm water, even in the winter. Snow is not enough to keep them properly hydrated. A thin horse won't keep warm well, so do whatever it takes to keep your horse in good body weight. If he is show clipped he also may require a blanket in cold weather, but that doesn't sound like your case.
A horse needs to be able to get out of the wind. If you don't have a run-in shelter, a windbreak, a tree or brush patch or some other shelter will work. I've seen people stack bales just outside of their horse's pen to provide shelter, and that even helps!
The only time my horses ever appear cold is when we get cold rain or wet, heavy snow. Its especially bad if the wind is blowing. You will then need to put them under roof, or if nothing else, provide a water-proof blanket. Preferbly put on the blanket before they're wet to the skin! Give them extra hay, and keep them out of the wind and they'll be okay.
Lastly, my horses live with coyotes and fox all around them. I have never had a bit of problems. Coyotes by far prefer gophers, birds or small animals. A new born foal could be in danger, also a sick or injured horse could possibly be injured by coyotes. Not by fox, I'm sure. So I wouldn't worry about the coyote unless things out of the ordinary happen. If the coyotes have rabies, that would change, obviously! Also, if the coyotes are in a famine and starving they could become alot more aggressive, in that case you'd want your horse inside at night. Otherwise they will live in harmony. I see coyotes in my pasture occasionally, but they are digging at gopher holes and not bothering the horses!
She'll be ok as long as she doesnt get left out in harsh weather.
Even if it rains a bit, as long as its like 70 it should be ok.
I would just worry about animals getting her, she is by herself and doesnt have anyone to help her fight them off in stuff.
She shouldnt be too lonely, i think she will be just fine
She should be fine, I usually will put my horses coat on if he starts to look cold.
she should be fine outside, she'll enjoy it. no a fox won't attack a grown horse. i don't think a coyote would either we have lots of coyotes they never bother my horse, sometimes they will get a young calf or a goat but never horses.
Hi again, re the coyote and fox questions, Our horses tend to try and run the critters off, so are good watch dogs!
haha yes, i answered your other question in exactly these words:
She should be fine outside as long as it doesnt get too cold (blanket her if it is) and as long as she has hay to snack on along with her grass, water and SHELTER! However, I always stall my horses because they get nervous being outside at night. I would let her stay out at night for a night and set your alarm and go check on her periodically-- to make sure she is OK. Because she may get really nervous being out there in a pasture all alone! And as the person said above, make sure the cows don't spook her!
NOW FOR THIS QUESTION:
It should be fine for the night-- dont worry about it! But like i said above, you may want to set an alarm for the first night she is out alone to check up on her. Coyotes are less likely to attack when there is more than one horse, but since the cows arent around you I dont think its a good idea... Reguardless, BE CAREFUL. Check in the woods for any coyote droppings or nests, and if you see any traces then i would be sure to bring her inside at night!
she'll be fine outside at night, no coyote's wont attack her and neither will foxes. she'll be safe and happy. good luck
Horses were on this Earth long before we were and probably will be long after we are gone. They didn't live in stalls before we came along. Your horse will adapt to being outside with no problems. A run-in shed is nice but they will do fine without one. My Tb mare is out all the time, day and night. That is what nature intended for them. We humans intend something different for them.
A fox will not mess with a horse. A horse is huge compared to them. Foxes are drawn to prey they can actually eat. I don't know abot coyotes. Do they hunt in packs or singularly? A pack of coyotes might attack a single horse but once again smaller prey would be better suited to their needs. I have seen horses kick and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of their hooves. Most animals think the same way. It takes an awful big animal to bring down a horse.
You say you have cattle. The horse probably won't strike up a friendship with cattle but have been known to hang with sheep or similar animals. You may want to think about buying your horse a friend like that instead of another expensive horse. Just a thought.
Tim
My horses live outside in coyote heaven. The only thing I've had a problem with is the coyotes spooked one of my mares into the fence and caused a major vet bill and she became a permanent pasture pet. But that's been our only incident in the last 5 years. A fox isn't going to bother your horse, they're just too small.
Another thing I think you need to consider: my oldest mare is 17 years old. She's seen just about everything and even the coyotes don't faze her. Your girl probably isn't bothered at all right now, and once you get the shelter up she'll be as happy as a clam.
She'll be fine, but you do actually need to build that shelter sooner rather than later.
Just as stated by most people before me, your horse should be fine. I would just monitor her and see how she is fairing while out there. She sounds pretty fit for a 20 year old if you're riding her every day and will probably be just fine. The cows will help keep her from looking as tasty as she might look as a loner. And I have seen horses hang around cows quite a bit (it's actually kind of helpful, because then the horse isn't scared of them, and you could use her to help you work the cows - if you wanted that is). Horses and cows are herd animals and like to stick together, so long as one of their herd-mates doesn't want to eat them. Since your horse is so close to your house, I wouldn't worry about any coyotes. Only if they are really hungry will they hunt something so large. And they do hunt in packs, usually trading off who runs down the prey, thus out-running and tiring out the prey. But like I said before, a horse is a bit big for the little coyotes to go chasing off after.
Good luck with your new pony and I would get a lean-to put up as soon as you can, only so that she has the option to use it should she need it.
Have fun and enjoy her!

No comments:

Post a Comment