Monday, May 24, 2010

I have started feeding a standardbred gelding oats.?

Just wanting to know is it better if I soak them, and if so how long and in what. I realise rolled, cracked, or ground would be more digestible, but it is also more expensive and not as readily available at present.
Answers:
You can soak them in water, but if you want to make it a special treat, add a little molasses or Karo syrup. He'll love you!
Why not just feed a quality feed like M.F.A. Easykeeper, or Omelene 2 or 300? Then you wouldnt have to worry about it! A horse is a horse! No matter what breed you have!
I give a half a small coffe can of roled oats to all my horses.No you dont soak them %26 it doesnt makethem hot its good for them.
I put a little tap water in my horses oats, I don't like them breathing in any more dust than they already do. I don't know how long it soaks. I get the grain moist, bring the horses in, then feed them. I suppose it takes 5-10 minutes.
If you have just started feeding him oats, change his diet slowly. Horses colic and founder from the strangest stuff.
If you can, feed him twice a day.
If he is out of condition, make sure he's wormed and his teeth don't need to be floated.
we use hole oats they need soaking for 24 hours then draining for 24 hours then you can feed but that is because they are hole oats. The rolled oats you do not need to soak
Soaking oats don't make them any better than dry you normally only soak oats if your horse has a hard time swollening them. At the track we always feed a mix of oats and sweet feed and mesh or bran dry or as a hot mesh Not everyday it's to rich for feed it that way daily .

No comments:

Post a Comment