Saturday, May 22, 2010

I Have Breaking Probelms! Any Ideas On a Bit I Should Try?

I'm having breaking problems with my Throughbred X. He leans heavily on the bit in trot, canter and gallop when I try to steady him up and pulls the reins through my hands! I've tried a lose ring snaffle and now a cherry roller D Ring, any other ideas anyone??
Answers:
Bits, bits, bits. Why does everyone think horse riding starts and ends with bits? Go back to the basics with this guy. If you can't do it yourself try finding a trainer who can help you out.
Maybe he doesn't like carrying your weight on his back. Maybe he doesn't like the pressure of a bit on the sensitive poarts of his mouth.
Why not just leave him in peace.

.
I would try a specific brand...the Myler bit is AMAZING!! I love it because there are so many different options but it is made specifically to be sooting to the horse's mouth, yet allow for control and balance with the rider. I would try him in some kind of Myler snaffle and see if that helps...
check out the website and good luck :)
My neighbor uses the D bit, it gets their attention more, but also make sure you dont have the bit located in the wrong spot, or it might be to tight.
make sure you have fit the snaffle properly first.throughbred also take longer to train in my experience...stick with it
You may try a tom thumb. I worked with several different breeds, ranging from National Sweepstakes Arabs to backyard Shetland ponies. The shetlands were the toughest to deal with, and the tom thumb worked great. Also, use gloves when riding and try a nylon gaming rein. It's slightly shorter, and is one piece, so you don't have to worry about losing it. Also, use your weight as a balance control for him. Sit firmly down in your seat, and that should help let him know to back of the bit.
no one can possibly assess your horse over the ether. it's time to get a professional in to see you working with your horse and to advise you.Good luck
I'm working with a horse right now that has the same problem. What I did was go back to the round pen and lots of ground work. It's working. First it takes some of the steam out of him. second it gets back to the basics of trust and control. after two days of ground work only(one hour secessions), I started riding him after doing ground work. He's getting better every day. Yesterday we had a wonderful ride. He still has a way to go but he was only green broke when I got him and he was so spoiled! By the way I'm using a snaffle bit.
You may need to go back to basics with his schooling, and try him in a apple flavoured happy mouth.
Personally I like the Lifter %26 the Turbo Lifter bits myself. As stated before, I have also had good luck with the Myler bits. It is really hard to answer this over the internet, and I would think about consulting a pro. It may not be the bit at all, but just a slight change of hand, leg, or rider posistion that is needed. Or even a small attitude adjustment. I would try that before I emptied my bank account buying bits. Good Luck!
hi there ,,,,,have u tryed draw rains as it keeps the head down as u prob already no an may not of tryed good luck
an o ring should be fine. try tying his head to the side for awhile until he stops fighting the bit. you dont need something more severe, he just needs to learn to use the one you have and to respect it. ask him to bend and give his head often. see-saw his head down and collect him. dont give him his head back untill he drops it. he will learn, my horse did the same thing and i still ride him in a very mild snaffle o ring.
i think it is personal choice here but me personally i always start with a french linc snaffle bit and never use anything other than a snaffle bit
have you tried to get a trainer in to look at what you are doing with the horse to see if it is something that you are unconsciously doing wrong? i dont mean to sound nasty at all but at times it is better to have a second opinion face to face with someone who will spot problems on the ground that you cant see yourself
try bending him before you ride him. this really helps me.
What kind of riding do you do with your Throughbred X? I'm an event rider and my last horse was a throughbred x-racehorse. For galloping x-country I used an elevator bit, but generally just a snaffle for flatwork.
Go back to basics and start from scratch again it will pay you in the long term to just take your time.
i presume that your youngster is lunging and long reining in a rubber snaffle( which is the mildest bit you can get ) when and only when he is doing this nicely and well balanced in all gaits would i think about doing any ridden training. if your youngster isn't balanced in trot why are you cantering and galloping. the most important time in your horses ridden life is starting now and it is important that you get it right. It sound to me like you do not have the experience to deal with such a complex thing as backing and bringing on (please don't use the word breaking. if its broken it needs mending.) i would ask around and find somebody who can help you ,if this is not an option due to finances then go back to basics with leading under control, then lunging etc. Please take the Cherry roller out of this youngsters mouth and give him something nicer, you can get something call a training bit which has a bit lozenge in the middle all horses love it and it costs about 20 pound. if you can get one contact me and i will source one for you. good luck, don't rush and both enjoy this fantastic experience.
Instead of worrying soly about this try doing some excercises to help his balance - when he is balanced he won't lean on you for you to help carry him - he will carry himself. I had the same problem with my TB mare - and now i'm getting ready for my first one day event! I did alot of lungeing excercise - without side reins and brought the circle gradually in and then out - i also did lots of circles when schooling her! This helps her step across with her back end and will improve balance - another thing to do is ride a square - half halt on the corners and pushing her back end around the corner at walk! Also try pole work! I have my mare in a loose ring snaffle with a french link and a flash! I hope this helps - it certainly did for me!
First of all, use a snaffle. Second of all, ever heard of join-up? It requires the horse to put his or her trust in you. Research it on the internet. I would use join-up in your breaking, then get someone else to do the join-up while you get on his back.
your horse is leaning heavily on you because he isnt working thru his back. he's finding it easier to lean on you rather than use his back. You could change his bit but a better way to rectify this problem is schooling exercises asking him to gently start to use his back, and balance propery. was he a racer before you got him? this can easily explain it. otherwise he may just be young. hope this helps!
first have the dentist out check his teeth and mouth. second stand him with side rains and braking bit for a while . third do some more lunging with braking bit and side rains, long raining and go back to training with him .
sometimes i find a market harbour can help so you make him work from the back end good luck.
28yrs experience
try a split bit it allways seems to work on mine
He is probably unbalanced, as you are breaking him you shouldn't really be galloping or cantering him. As it's early stages you should be concentrating on his ground work and Hacking him out getting him used to having a rider aboard and letting him experience all new stuff around him and getting his confidence up. If you long rein him he will get used to the pressure on the bit plus he will learn to work from behind and build up the muscle and balance to confidently hold a rider. Have you had his teeth, back and tack looked at? Have you got a good soft balanced seat? Are you being heavy in your hands? He will have a soft mouth so if your hard with your hands we will become hard in his mouth and you will be causing him unnecessary pain. You should get professional help with him as you are already struggling and anything you do wrong now will make hard work of things once he is trying to learn things the right way! I wouldn't suggest chopping and changing his bits around I usually stick with a French link snaffle soft hands strong legs and soft balanced seat working in walk and trot getting that right doing serpentines, spirals, and 20mtr curcles getting him to work from behind and lighten into the hands and have smooth transitions then gentally progress to canter and work on those simple things before rushing into anything else. Good Luck please don't confuse him by dooing too much too soon you'll only learn to regret it!
I started riding my thoroughbred in a bitless bridle and she is fab in it. It sounds strange to say ride a strong horse without a bit but it seems to work. Don't use a hackmore or any variety like that as they are very severe. A bitless bridle (put in bitless bridle on Yahoo and should bring it up) works on pushing the horse rather than pulling. Thoroughbreds have very sensitive mouths and sometimes I think, can be trying to run away from the pain in their mouths so a stronger bit, often makes them worse.
If you do try a bitless, ride in an enclosed area first until you are both used to it, it can take awhile.
Please try this as they are so kind. My thoroughbred was a bolter and touch wood, hasn't done so since I have been using this bridle.
Good luck.
Thankfully you've realised that you need to change this bit asap as once a young horse realises they can take control of a situation they tend to carry this attitude forward to their working lives.
with regards to a new bit. without actually seeing your horse - and what type of mouth he has - its quite hard to comment on what type of bit is best for you - the fact he leans on you and can be quite strong in resisiting your commands might mean you might have to go along the lines of a rubber straight bar pelham - a stong bit but not quite so severe as others.. I do think you're best off talking to your saddler who might advise you better - and might let you take one or two bits to try out before you buy
xx
the bit that works best with my horses is a d ring snaffle bit. I know some that used a hackamore though and that almost had gotten her thrown. I have seen a lot of horses not like hackamores, so I would make sure that I stayed away from hackamores.

No comments:

Post a Comment