Saturday, May 22, 2010

I have a matched team of mares who I've retired from driving,?

And I want to teach them to neck rein. The problem is, they've been going in a mullen mouth liverpool bit, and they really like the security of hanging on that bit! Which means they like much closer contact than this Western rider feels even remotely comfortable with. They ride nicely, very comfortable, will take any saddle, but really like to feel that bit! Any suggestions?
Here's their pictures, www.blackroot.org/farm
Thanks!
Answers:
Mathaowny is correct about the reining, just give short light intermitant pulls while using your rein in the dirrection you want to go. I would suggest a Billy Allen bit. It is a nice transition from the mullen mouth. It has a copper roller in the middle that they like alot. You also have long shanks for leverage which will help them learn there turning method %26 keep them flexing.I had a 1/2 arab that was very sour from someone over training him {not me} %26 he hated all bits but I tried that one %26 he loved it. Your mares are great !! Good Luck
they need a twisted bit , and re train them
My horse used to be a plow horse, so I know exactly what you mean. Right now I'm teaching him to neckrein as simple as I can. If your mares don't know leg cues, you might want to teach them that too.
First, I cue my horse with my leg and pull the rein against his neck. If he doesn't respond, I gently pull his head in the way we're turning like a plow rein. So he learns that if I put the rein on the opposite side of his neck, he should turn away from it. He's learning pretty quickly what I want, soon I'm hoping that he'll get used to it completely.
The other way is using split reins and crossing themn under the jaw. I tried that way, but my Perch gave me a few nasty looks. He didn't enjoy the way it felt, I guess.
And by the way, your horses are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! (And those deer are pretty cute too :) Good luck with them.
EDIT: And I'm not sure what type of bit you can use, I'm just using a snaffle.
Teaching a horse to neck rein can be challenging. If they were driving horses in their past lives, the only aid they're used to having consistent contact with is your hands. Therefore, they're going to look for that contact under saddle. I wouldn't even try teaching them to neck rein until you've lessened their dependence on your hands. It sounds like it's only uncomfortable for you because you're used to being way back behind their heads, and having comparatively short reins all the time weirds you out a little. I'd just trail ride for a while. Don't completely drop their faces, that will only confuse them, but work on a little longer of a rein than they seem to want. Gradually you can lengthen the reins; this may take a few weeks, but they'll get it. Once they have the idea of lowering their heads and not working so much from your hands, you can start teaching them to neck rein. (Until then I'd just hold my reins English style.)
When you do teach them to neck rein, ask for little bits at a time. If you want them to turn right, squeeze with your right hand, and at the same time, press the left rein over their neck. If you want them to turn left, squeeze with your left hand while pressing the right rein over their neck. If you just neck rein without giving them something to equate that command to, they'll really be confused.
Just keep in mind that it is going to take time. Because they're used to driving, they think you want contact with their mouths all the time. They just haven't realized yet that what you want when you're driving isn't necessarily what you want when you're riding.
i usually ride with whichever the horse is most comfortable with, but you could always ride in a halter or get a lighter bit and see how they like that???
I would use a full cheek snaffle. Just because you want them to soften up in the mouth, meaning when you ride you don't want to be on their mouth all the time like you had said. Then when you are giving pressure to their mouth it is a soft bit. Then you are not hard on their mouth, but you can let hang on that bit. Just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment