Monday, May 24, 2010

I heard that the longest living horse lived up to 62 years old...is this impossible?

probably is false. it was just something i heard.
Answers:
I actually read that the oldest horse recorded was Old Billy. He lived to 62. I believe it was recorded in the Guiness Book of Records. . I could be wrong, but I did read it somewhere.
i'm pretty sure i heard that as well, and i don't think it's impossible, it's just extremely rare!
Look at the elephant! It lives much longer! I could believe it... That could explain why they are so expensive!
It's not impossible.It just very very rarely happens! And yes I heard this too and it could very well be true!
This 2004 website has it as 51...
http://www.ecmagazine.net/su04htm/oldest...
it isnt impossible...but i bet it was hard for that owner to keep him/her alive that long!!
The average horse's lifespan is 15 to 20 years, with quarter horses averaging 25 to 30 years.
However, the horse you speak of was Badger, aged 51, was recognised as the world's oldest horse in 2004 but he has since died... You can read about it here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/661...
the guinness book of world records says old billy. he was 62, the average age is 25-30 years, owned by E. Robinson (UK) and died in 1822.
Yes that is false, I believe the oldest horse was something like 42.
ya his name was old billy or something like that. but ya he was old
I don't think it's impossible. Unlike in humans, species with several sub-breeds, like horses and dogs, show large variance in lifespan. Many thoroughbreds don't make it past twenty, but Morgans and Lipizzaners live to 30 easily.
Many ponies and smaller breeds of horses regularly live to 40 and beyond. A couple of years ago, my local equine newspaper published a photo of a medium-sized horse pulling a sleigh that was well into his 40's and healthy.
no its not impossible i do not think. my friend had a horse that was 28 her name was shirley and he even sold her and i guess she lived a lil longer. not close to 62 but hey its still a long time if u ask me...much longer then ive been alive!
before i moved house my local riding school had several older horses in their ownership. the older ones was allowed to retire and live out their days in their paddocks in comfort, they was aged 25, 27, 28, 2nd 38.
all are retired completely when they are deemed to be unable to be ridden comfortably, however they have one, still in the school, that is 28 and acts like a teenager and as it enjoys being ridden they decided that if they retire it completly then it would probably just give up.
they told me that they found that if the horse was allowed to continue working a little for as long as it was fit to then it kept its brain from going stale and they live longer.
they told me that their oldest horse was months away from being 42 when it was found dead in the field one day and the youngest was 5 so i guess it just shows that all horses are like people, different
no its NOT impossible
i rode a horse that was 57 and she was a great jumper! lol a lil slow but she made it well over that 2.5 ft rails!
it just depends on wether it was a small horse or a large horse. because i cleaned stalls for a lady that had a mini horse that was like 40ish i think. can not remember exacly how old but i know it was something like that.
dont know if it is true or impossible, but if it is possible is would RARELY EVERY happen
I knew an old mare that was 48 and going well ( not 62 granted lol) I think that it could be probable, with the right care and management.
A pony at my friend's barn is more than 50 years old, so I would definitely not deny the plausibility of a horse reaching 60-something...

No comments:

Post a Comment