Saturday, May 22, 2010

I have a chance to buy a registered Belgium horse?

it's 5 years old and 18 hands high. she is really beautiful and gentle do Belgium's make good saddle horses for trail riding ?
Answers:
Yes, they are big and rich, oops, I mean big and fun horses to ride. I've had one as a lesson horse for some time and all of my students request her first. They are sure footed and solid, and very docile in temperament. And, you can drive them if you ever want to invest in a wagon, it's fun to take children and seniors for drives. My students show her as an english pleasure horse, and I've seen them used in drill teams, vaulting, dressage, and parades.
Enjoy!
They can do what any other saddle horse does, they just take up more room. I used to ride one in a drill team program. She did trail riding, schooling, shows, drill, and vaulting as easily as any other horse.
Yes, provided you don't mind the "swaying" motion, they can be a little tiring on long rides, the only thing I would say is that if she is only 5 then you need to be sure she has learnt her job well as it is still quite young and I would expect problems to crop up. Other than that she sounds lovely! Although 18 hands is very big, you will have to consider the bills! I had a Shire at 17 hands and his shoeing cost me 拢132 every six weeks, he also had to have hay all summer to keep up with his appetite. Basically if she really is sweet and gentle and understands how to behave you could be fine with her, so long as you can afford to keep her! Good luck.
Most any draft horse is a great horse for riding, especially trails. Usually they are calm and easy going, sometimes on the lazy side, so you may have to kick alot or use a fair bit of leg, depending on the horse. But they are comfortable enough to sit on all day long with their big cushiony backs.
I do agree however, with someone above that said make sure she's had her training. 5 is a young horse, and 18 hands is a HUGE horse :) i.e., really big black %26 blue marks if things go wrong!
I would also just be sure she's not a PMU horse. As a vast generalization, most PMU hroses come out of the facilities lacking in people skills, and hardly broke , trustworthy and ready to ride.
Belgian horses can make good saddle horses a bit wide so you would have to get used to that.
But Belgians are pretty docile, friendly and calm.
The dont usually spook at much.
I would say go for it if you have the room, they are great horses!
It's Belgian - not Belgium.
I've ridden draft horses before - comfy - they do everything in slow motion.
That said, their stride is quite long - of course, they're BIG so it can be a bit surprising.
If I am not mistaken, most draft breeds were bred for battle - so yes, they can even do dressage.
wow ya buy it! they do whatever... i haev heard many belguim horses make gr8 jumpers but i dunno what breed urs is?
I have an 11 year old gelding and he is wonderful. I only ride him (neither one of use knows how to drive.) And he is a very wonderful ride. I have taken him on many trails. I took him on one last summer for about 4 hours and I just rode him bareback. He is so mellow I allow my niece to ride him alone. She's now 7, but she's been doing it since she was about 5. I would say DO IT!! Good luck!
Yep, I love those, they're beautiful! Most drafts are just like any other horse, and can do the same functions. I use my Percheron for trails and he's great. Drafts are good on trails because by nature they're usually a bit calmer and laid-back.
Oh, and it's Belgiam OR Belgium, depending on the country you're in and the dialect. Both are correct.
It's a BELGIAN horse, not a Belgium...that's the country they originated from. And yes they can make nice riding horses, just like any other well-trained horse can. Though, with all your horses, mare you want to breed to who knows what, and ungelded colt, I don't know that you really need another horse that you don't know much about... Maybe you should start reading, learn more about horses, get a mentor who can teach you things you need to know about owning horses, and geld your colt before you end up way over your head and your "rescues" end up having to be rescued again.

No comments:

Post a Comment