Saturday, May 22, 2010

I have a yearling AQHA stallion that I would like to show in halter.?

I have never shown in halter before. I have had horses all my life and have team roped and ride the trails in Colorado several times a week. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Answers:
I agree with a lot of what has already been said. If it was me and I was just starting out, I would start at the open shows, just to get used to the show ring atmosphere. Breed shows can be really overwhelming to someone starting out. And please remember this (this was my worst frustration when I started showing halter). If you start out in the breed shows, unless you just have a superb halter horse that has been conditioned to death, you are not going to win classes. You will be competing against trainers who have been doing this a long time and have the money and know how behind them. It is called getting beat be the lead shank. And it will happen. And you will see yearlings big enough to rope on in the breed shows. I could groom until doomsday and fit until doomsday, but could not ever place higher than third or fourth. My horses were more performance bred, instead of being 16 hands tall, weighing 1200 pounds and walking on double ought sized feet. And it is really frustrating to lose to the trainers. But I finally learned to take it as a learning experience for my young horses, and I always have to remember that when my horses are showing in several different classes and winning, then halter horses are still only able to do one thing. Showing halter is a lot of fun if you have the right attitude. I hate to be the "devils advocate", but I wanted to let you know what can and does happen. This is in no way saying to stay out of the halter classes, but do not take it personally if you do not go and win the first time out. Good Luck and have fun.
The important things to do are make your horse stand nice and square, try to keep his ears forward. Face the judge at all times. When he move to one side, you move too. Keep your eyes on him and a big smile on your face. The judges love it! Youll also need a nice show halter with some silver, and a stud chain with a leather lead. The chain is usually run under the chin and up the left side of the halter. A neatly banded mane and clean markings will really make you stand out. Good luck!
------------------------------...
ps. dont know what the thumbs down is for. Ive done this for eight years showing stallions and consistanly come home with blue ribbons.
are you over 18? people under the age of 18 are not allowed to show stallions in any horse breed
smile and keep a tight hold on the halter, before the show, if your stallion is high strung or nevous invite a group of people over to your house to show the stallion so it wont be nervous at judging time
Read the rule books and find out about the rules first on showing stallions. I think the yearling age is the cut off for youngsters (if your are) showing uncut male horse.
The Arabian Horse Association allows Junior participants to show stallions in any class and this has always been the case. As far as I know the Arabian Horse Association is the only breed that allows their youth to show stallions.
Outside of that...I would go to several shows and watch. I would watch who has won 1st and 2nd and pattern your showing after the ones who are winning. Grooming your horse and presentation is 95% of winning. Correct conformation does help but there is a lot you can cover up. Start at open shows, groom your horse to the "nines" and go out to win. Always, always watch your judge. Never let your horse just be a nag. Never let your guard down. Pay attention. That judge is watching you all of the time even when you think he/she is not. You can always talk to the judge after the class especially if you did not win and they should be ecstatic to help you do better. If they tell you that your horse is not competitive as a stallion, ask if he would be more competitive as a gelding. Get many opinions on your colt if he continues not to win as a stallion then he is more than likely not stud material. Very few stallions really are stud material.
And don't forget to smile. And breathe. Holding your breath makes you tense. Horse showing is supposed to be fun.
Good luck...and let us know how things are going. I for one would like to know.
Most associations, both local and breed, will allow youth to show yearling stallions. Don't know who said you were under 18 - I can't find that anywhere. Even if it's true, you can show this horse because he is a yearling. If he is foundation you could continue to show him in NFQHA when he is older (even if you are a youth.)
I don't know if you are looking for training advice, but there was a question posted recently about getting a horse to stand still and square for halter, and there were several good answers. I'd start there.
If you looking for showing advice, I would go to a few shows at the level you plan to show and check out the competition, and how the classe are held. That will give you some good ideas about what you need to wear, and what condition your horse needs to be in to be competitive. It will vary a lot! There is no need to get prepared for AQHA competition if you are planning to go to the local fair. Ask a lot of questions of the people that win or do well - horse people won't mind answering. Good luck!
I would suggest taking a couple of lessons with someone skilled that knows how to show halter. You will need to learn quartering and grooming etc.
When I went into showing, lessons helpend me immensly.
Also as your practicing have someone video you so you can see how well your are presenting your animal. I had no idea I walked like a gorrilla in the arena until I had my son video me LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment