Saturday, May 22, 2010

I have a 4 y.o. app & i have started to take her over some small jumps but im concerned I started her to soon

I have done a bit of research online about the proper age to jump, and the ages seem to be between4-6. I asked trainers at the barn where I board her, and they said 4 is a good age to start. She's doing beautifully over the small cross rails she goes over now, and I really want to take them up a little higher and for us to go over more than just a single jump, but I dont want to rush her into jumping that she loses interest in it. I have done major flat and ground work with her, before going over our first little jump. Has anyone else started jumping their horse at 4 years old? Should I continue jumping her and taking it slowly, or should I stop and wait until she's 5 or 6. I really don't want her to lose interest because she seems to really enjoy it, and i definately dont want to push her too much that she hurts herself. Any advice will do
Answers:
well if you have already started her.. dont stop! she might forget all she learned! its fine! keep going! take it slow.. but if your trainers continue to help you it should be fine! my pony just turned 11.. and when i first started riding him he was completely green because he was western before. we kept training him slowly... trot poles, cross rails, verticals, boxes, then oxers! it took about 2 years until he was perfect! but it took him about 6 months to start jumping boxes.. but now he does it beautifully! and this other pony i was training was very green! she was about 5 or 6 but she didnt kno anything about jumping.. but with the help of me, my friends, and trainers, she now knows how to jump oxers and help herself out when distances are tight! it only took her about 6ish months. so keep going with your horse! i kno she'll be just fine! :]
I know several people that started their horses over jumps at four-four and a half and the older ones seem fine still. But the five year olds I've seen that were started over jumps at four haven't been pushed to do too much, still jumping only lines of crossrails and small stuff. I'm not a trainer but from what I've seen alot of people don't push for much more than crossrails when they're that young.
Maybe you could raise the crossrail, or keep it at the same size and just add more slowly until you have her jumping a course.
As long as your horse is comfortable and there is no indication of swelling or lameness you should be ok. Keep an eye on her for any indication of soreness. It sounds like you have been slow and steady, a good thing to be always.
I'd say go for it, keep working her!
My horse has been jumping since two-three, and she okay. So four is really good in my opion
i have a 4yo and he is starting to jump. he is fine. it depends on your horse. at 4yo some horses are still haven't physically matured yet and others are pretty close to being physically mature. if they look comfortable going over the jumps he/she should be fine. maybe one or two jumping per week with flatwork or dressage on the other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment