Saturday, May 22, 2010

I have a question, kind of retorical but..Dressage/barrel racers??

Hi guys, I thought I would throw this out there. I know (well alot of the answers anyway) But since we recently we had questions/comments about the wall between Western vs. English and I wondered how many people knew the similarities between dressage horses and well trained barrel horses? Example: Body control, how a well trained barrel horse needs to be trained in order for the rider to have 100% control of the horses entire body, collection, and riding up onto the bit. So, my question is, do you know other similarities? Thought it would be an interesting subject to share some of the similarities between 2 completely different aspects of equine sports.
Answers:
And not even just barrels, but all speed events - heck, all western disciplines! Look at reining (in particular), cutting, western pleasure, western riding (in reference to the stock horse show classes, not just riding with a western saddle), trail...
I have always believed that a broke horse is a broke horse, no matter what equipment is on him. I know I will get some flack from WP spectators - "how hard can it be?" they will ask... Well, today's WP class is about total control of every inch of the horses body. I'm not saying I like it, because I don't do WP at that level. I'm just stating it. I know that the general population thinks barrel horses are a bunch of out of contol nut cases, but the ones that consistently win will walk into the arena, fire up and do the job, and walk out on a loose rein. They are in total control every moment they are in the pen. I have had the good fortune of being allowed to ride well trained individuals in every aspect of the western horse world, and I repeat - a broke horse is a broke horse!
Update - Unless you have experienced barrel racing as a focused discipline (I am not talking Friday night rodeo) you can't really say that there is not an immense amount of control going on in a run. I think Starlight missed the boat (which seldoms happens - I am a big fan, usually!)
First, "most" barrel racers do not use a tie down. Some, yes, and many of those use it for balance in the tight turns, not control to keep the horse from throwing their head. Minor misconception that a lot of people have, I guess.
But ...how can you say that collection has no place in barrels?? I challenge you to watch a really top, taped barrel run, and slow it down to frame by frame. As a horse approaches the barrel and sets up for the turn you will see every bit as much collection as you do in the finest dressage event. Throughout the turn, and leaving the turn you will see as much collection and control as in any english event. I do not mean to get defensive - I am a great fan of yours! It is just that these are common misconceptions about speed event riders, and it simply is not true.
As far as boals, I have never seen one on a barrel horse, ever.
Boy thats a hard one.You about covered all I can think of.
Definately. Dressage is the fundamental of all horse training. In fact, my barrel horses have gone to schooling shows and of beat the other horses just because mine do all of the manuevers. The do it fast, and not as pretty, but always correct. I can put their bodies anywhere I want them, and get any lead, extension, half halt, pirouette etc. that I want.
Same with reining. Call it the "western dressage." Good question/comment.
*** edit to add *** I have taken dressage clinics when I needed tune ups for myself. They will really help to point out where you are throwing your horse off and where you can shave off a tenth of a second. In fact, I took a clinic with Lynn Palm. I was the only barrel racer there and she was impressed that I had that thought process. I was impressed with her people and horse skills.
Barrel racing is about speed and sharp turns, yes, and it does use dressage. Dressage training helps a barrel racer get their hind legs up underneath them, making it easier for the rider to stop and turn the horse. It's a lot like having a car with really strong or fine tuned power steering- except that in this case, the steering is from behind instead of in the front. Dressage can also be used to teach the horse to accept the bit and the rider's aids, and to go forward willingly when asked to do so. Dressage is NOT used for head control in barrel racing- most racers I have seen usually have to wear a tie-down or bosal to keep them from throwing their heads around, and this is NEVER permitted in dressage- no dressage horse I have ever seen anywhere ever wears a bosal or tiedown. Barrel horses also do not collect up- if they did, it would interfere with their speed and running abilities. Barrel racers also gallop- the maximum speed any dressage horse reaches is an extended canter, and then only for very short bursts, such as on the diagonal across the arena. These are two very different sports, but you are right in saying that one of them uses techniques from the other. Hope this answers your question.
um im a barrel racer and pole bender and i dont kno to many simularities cuz to barrel race u need atocky horses to ride english competions u need small skinny horses like tennesse walkers and arabians.
Western Riders u need Appolossa, Quarter Horse, American Paints. See the difference?
I was once told that all equine disciplines are rooted in haute ecole, which came from what the Greeks and Romans taught their horse for battle. Think of a dressage horse and a western trail horse. They both sidepass. Dressage horses do a version of the reining horse spin (or vice versa). Western Horsemanship uses the turn on the forehand and on the haunches. And I am sure there are tons of others. The only wall between English and Western is the one that people put there. I do not ride dressage, or jumpers, or even barrel race. But that does not mean I do not appreciate the beauty in a well trained horse in any of these events. A well trained horse is a thing of great beauty, no matter what they are doing. And a big thumbs up to those who invest a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in getting them there. You know the old saying" Don't knock it until you have tried it".
i didn't know the similarities between the two, but thanks for asking the question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,... You all taught me somethings
watching dressage shows is boring but watching barrels races on friday night with all those cute cowboys in wranglers is the best!
I'm not sure how many similarities I might find between dressage and barrel racing... I think there are many, many more similarities between dressage and REINING.
Olympian Lendon Gray did a demonstration a few years back...a pas de deux (sp?) with herself on a Grand Prix dressage horse, and some famous western reining guy. She did pirouettes while he did spins, she would do extended canter while he galloped, etc.
When I was in my teens, I got bored with the hunter/jumper kind of stuff and decided to try Western on a whim, so for a year my horse and I did pleasure and reining, and it was pretty fun. But then I discovered dressage! And that was the end of that. So I basically went straight from reining to dressage and never looked back. I would do it again, just for fun.
a good trained western horse can do anything through body movements.. and voice command.. yes there is a difference but we r all goin for the same goal... aren't we? and i always wondered why english riders thought they were better... no offense and if ur not like that good for u but the people i have dealt with r... they believe that there horses r better because english riding has evolved and western riding is pretty much the same as they did in the old west... i ride western and i dont c much difference in the way we ride and the way they ride. my mom is a western instructor.. we ride QHS western saddles.. but she teaches the kids to ride with 2 handa instead on1. to use there legs and voice so ya... what is hte differnce and similarities?
i like english way better then western but i will ride western. i luv doing the dressage jumping thing its awesome!
well, like they say dressagge is the basics to all types of ridin g. doesnt matter what saddle you throw on thier back. just depends how "prissy" you want to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment