Monday, May 24, 2010

I like ponies but..?

I'm wondering what size I should get. I'm 130LBS and 5'2". I basically don't want a horse over 14.3, any suggestions how many hands he should be?
Answers:
Fjords are good. They're short, but because of their wide backs you never feel under-horsed. They also tend to be pretty mentally stable and very easy keepers.
I would shoot for around 13-13.5 with your height
maybe you could try an arabian... not all of them are spooky and spirited, they can make intelligent and gentle mounts.
if you arn't growing anymore then I would stick to a pony that is 14 hands-14.1 hands.
Anything over 14 hands would be an ok height, you will prob. look too big on something significantly smaller. Try looking into getting a small quarter horse or arab. 14.3 hands isn't really a pony but a small horse anyway.
first poster- 13.5 hands doesn't exist... that would be 14.1 hands...
14.1 or 14.2 that is a great size im 5,3 and 105 my horse is 14,2 and does great my friends horse is the same heighth and she is 140..
Not 13.5...way too small..14.3 is the ideal height for someone ur height. I am the same height and weight. Your heels should come to the ponys girth area, not much lower, that means u are too big. You should ride whatever size horse makes you comfortable.
It is not only the size that you need to look at, but the attitude of the horse. Some animals don't like some people. Make sure that you and the horse that you get, get along. I had a small13.2 POA for over 10 years. She was small but we went together like bread and butter, but my best friend could not get near her - they clashed. Spend time with any animal that you might be interested in I would get something at least 14 that you get along with.
try 13.0 thru 14.0.or just get arabian...they are the best horse anyone can get..they are soooo fun sometimes.lol good luck
I would recommend either a small Arab or quarter horse. They usually average 14.2 14.3 You must make sure that the horse is well suited to you not just for your height and weight but also attitude and skill level. You may also find a heavy draft pony such as a Shetland, highland or welsh cross that is even shorter that you may like.
well im 5'4 and 100 pounds and my pony patrick is 13.3 hands and he is to small so you probly want to go around 14 hands -14.2 i wouldnt go any smaller than that you could go 13.3 but you probly still growing so you will have to sell him hope that helps xoxoxo
I am an older small woman and have just bought a Haflinger. He is only 4 and just newly broke but already very sensible and I feel quite save on him already...The Haflinger breed is very calm and kind and I'm seeing this in my new boy already. He is VERY sturdy and 14.3 hands and plenty strong enough to carry me for whatever sport I want to do.Consider a Haflinger for yourself...I think you will fall in love...Good luck...
14 hands would do you good.unless you're going to get taller cause then I'm afraid you may want over 14.3.
I'm 130 and 5'3", my mare is 15 1/2 hands tall, and my legs fall right where they need to be. you will need to get a horse between 14 and 14.3 hands if you want to keep it small. if you like ponies why don't you get a small shetland to play with and a 15 hand horse to ride? i have a shetland and a horse, so i get the best of both worlds. a shetland doesn't eat much to keep healthy as long as he has free range all the time, except of course when the weather gets too bad.
The pony should probably between 13.3 h and 14.2 h to fit you perfectly. I am 5'7" and fit a 15.2 h horse perfectly so these may not be the best answers! But there is a pony in my lesson program that is 14.1 and he fits people that are about your height or 2 inches smaller or bigger.
an arab would be best you can get good arabs that are not to tall. and they are good horses

No comments:

Post a Comment