Monday, May 24, 2010

I just moved to the south, how do I keep the scary bugs OFF?

My horse has been getting eaten alive every night, particularly on her belly. I've been religiously spraying her with fly spray every 24 hours, and I've been told that it's strong stuff. We came from Washington state to North Carolina, and there are a lot more biting bugs. any help?
Answers:
I feel your pain (or rather, your horse's). Unfortunately the South is blessed with a lot of bugs and a lot of humidity and there really isn't a lot you can do about either.
My remedies: Permectrin once every two weeks; apply in small amounts to the crest and tailbone, to keep ticks off. Repel-X for fly spray; it's the most effective thing I've found and the concentrate comes in a navy blue bottle. SWAT Fly Repellent Ointment for any open sores caused by fly bites (or general cuts and abrasions); it's both a fly repellent and a wound ointment, and it really does work spectacularly; you can probably find it at Stateline if there's one around you.
Other than that, fighting bugs down here really is a losing battle. You can keep off the worst of them, but for the rest, she'll have to learn to tough it out.
put spray on way more often and keep a fly sheet on your horse(s) this should help
Go to the pet store and ask for a spray or cream that will prevent her from getting bitten from the nasty bugs...do everything you can in the meantime, put a coat on her and if you can get her a stable then that will also sheild her too.
I live about as far south as you can get in Mississippi and believe me, the bugs are HORRENDOUS! Years ago when I had my first horse, the biting flies were so bad that I began to worry about anemia! Fly sprays just weren't getting the job done!
Now, with new products out, I am using a feed additive called Equitrol. This product (and other products like it) have a growth inhibiter that prevents the growth of flies in the horses' manure. It has worked WONDERS! I still have to spray for trail rides and shows, but he has hardly any biting flies at home.
At the riding center where I worked, we used Diotamacious Earth which is totally natural and works by cutting the eggs while still in the horses' stomach. I personally don't use that only because I have to order it online. I wish my local feed stores carried carried it or I would be using that instead.
Any spray with permethrin in it should work. Ultasheild EX works for 12-14 days after a while. You can use it on dogs and as an area spray. It kills bees, cockroaches, mosquitoes, ticks, and pretty much everything else.
Sounds like your using the wrong fly spray! Try a higher end brand like Endure, Happy Horse, Repel X Fly Spray. And no matter what the manufactuer says, they need to be sprayed at least once a day! The higher end brands may be a little more, but you use alot less, hence saving you money! Good luck with those pesky flies!
Ok, south is not my territory but I'll try. Sniders has a great fly/ gnat sheet. It's the light blue one. Don't use the neck cover. Your horse will over heat. Don't use the sheet on really hot days...it's plastic so it doesn't breath well. I love Equisect because it's organic and fly sprays contain alot of bad stuff. Swat roller on made by Farnam is a MUST around the eyes ears and problem areas. It will last all day. Equisect lasts a few hours but smells great. As far as commercial fly sprays try the water proof kind so sweat wont wash it away. It also clings more. If in a stall, put a high powered fan at the opening. This will keep the weaker bugs away from the horse. Turn it off at night so your horse can get some sleep. Use fly screen mesh around the open areas of the stall. Spray the walls with a little fly spray. Also you can get fly and bug predictors...costs a bit but if your horse is at a big stable, others will be willing to chip in. Good Luck!
Just continue your spraying if they flys are bad and I would suggest getting a cotton fly sheet. Cotton is a natural fiber which will provide relief and be comfortable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment