Sunday, August 2, 2009

I don't feel like I'm a good rider?

I've been riding horses for five years but I don't feel like I'm any good. The highest I've jumped is 2 feet 9 inches and I know how to canter but I get really self conscious when I'm riding in a group with people who are better than me. I have low self esteem. I'm just wondering from what I've told you do you think I'm a good horse back rider?
Answers:
Everyone gets insecure everyonce in awhile but it sounds to me like you are good. I mean, I've never seen you ride but jumping 2'9 is nothing a beginner can do, thats for sure!
I haven't seen you ride. How long you ride or how high you jump doesn't tell you if you're good! I'de been around horses my whole life, and it still took me 3 years before I would get on a horse that was bigger then 14 hands(I had to, I was almost 5'4). It took a long time and alot of ground work before I could trust the horse. It's how well you can communicate to the horse. If you understand that, then tell me how good of a rider you think you are now.
If you know the basics then your a good rider. Are you riding english, keeping heels down, shoulders straight, holding the halter right? Ive been riding for 8 years, and you just have to push yourself. Go for 3 ft next too, then go up to 4. You need to get over the self conscience issues. People ride differently, doesnt mean your way is any better or worse. Just be confident up there, and try and look as good and professional as you can.
Look: everyone, from their first minute on a horse, to their 50th year riding, makes mistakes, and its ok, because we have to have something to learn from! When you start to feel self conscious, then maybe start doing something you are really sure off. like maybe your posting is really good, or you have a perfect two-point. think about what you do know and what you can do. and remember that your horse wouldn't have you on his back if you were a bad rider.
If you still are feeling down on yourself, then find something you really really love doing (like trail ridind did it for me!) and do a LOT of it. remember than you're supposed to be having fun up there!
if you want to improve for training purposes, one of the best ways to do it is to get rid of the saddle (i dont recomend this for anyone who has a less than broke horse).
Riding bareback will instantly improve your balance, position, grip, etc
you can trail ride, jump (so much fun!), gallop, or just mosy around the areana and your body will be learning a better sense of balance all the while.
If you're nervous about bare back, then start by riding with out your stirrups in the saddle and riding just at a walk bareback.
There is nothing that increases your riding skill better.
I ride a lot of bareback because not only does my trainer say it helps tremendously, but I can see an instant difference when I'm having position difficulty in the saddle, and I take it off to try it bareback, and then i get back in a saddle and I can do it perfectly.
Bareback does have its downfall. It is easier to fall off. but if you get into it gradually and you are a safe person, then chances are you wont ever fall off becase you're riding with out a saddle.
Im sure that after five years, you have perfected many riding skills that the little kids who walk into my barn for their lessons are really envious of. Be proud of what you've accomplished so far and concentrate on moving forward!
good luck!
I remember feeling the same way. I've been riding for 7 years. Because my parents refused to pay for lessons and almost anything horse-related, I started as a working student for a trainer taking care of 8 horses and mules in exchange for lessons when I was 12 years old. She wasn't a kind trainer.. she lost her patience teaching me to ride English and only taught me to do Western walk/jog for like 5 years until I quit. I had very low esteem back as she always barked at me with negative remarks.
I finally ride somewhere else now with my own horse. And the highest I jumped is 2'6". I've won English classes several times and placed pretty high in most shows.
I've never considered myself a good rider. Some people are talented at it.. others, not so much. But the best way I've improved is by watching the good riders and implying the "monkey see monkey do" method. I suggest going to a horse show and watching the riders that win and place high, and compare your equitation and your horse. That way, you know what to work on and what doesn't.
Also, doing some no-stirrup work and bounces can really help you out. It hurts at first but later on it'll help your legs grow stronger.
Anyway, about being a "good horseback rider" is really a self-defined definition. But you can't compare yourself with others when it comes to self-improvement, except, yourself. =]
Good and bad is relative. If I could do what you can do, I would probably consider myself really good, because I am much worse and frankly I think I can't get any better. If you compare yourself to the world champion or sth. you are not so good. The important thing is to fulfil your own goals, one at a time.
Thats actually a question for your instructor to answer.
However, there are things to improve your riding such as bareback, no stirrups, lunging your horse with you on it and holding your hands out etc.
You might want to check into a book such as Centered riding by Sally Swift and have your instructor help you do those maneuvers.
no, you'll be up to 3 feet soon. Just tell youself you can ride as good as everyone else.
I don't want to sound mean or anything, but a good rider never asks anyone if they think they are a good rider. You shouldn't care what other people think of your riding ability, style etc. you can only be the best you can be nothing more. so just have fun and enjoy the horse your riding, don't worry about anyone else or their opinions :)
ur good trust me i have been riding for 2.5 years in english and can barely canter in an english saddle (i am fine in western though)
yeah you suck try riding ponies
I've been riding for 7 years and every time I get on a horse I feel like a look bad but I have people video tape me and I realize that I don't look like how I feel I look like lol.And everyone learns at their own rate too so don't worry about it.
what i would say is if you have been riding for 5 years you must have learned someting!!! give it a rest enjoy your horse and then go back to jumping! take a trail ride to relax also go to some local shows and watch ppl who jump badly! you can also videotape yourself jumping and go over it to see what you need to improve, just go over that 2'9'' jump till youre bored with it!!!!! dont push yourself to be parelli or something like that whenYOURE ready to go over that 3 footer youll know happy trails!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment