Sunday, August 2, 2009

I am looking into getting a horse; what breeds should I consider?

I have been riding for about 2 years and am at the Intermediate level. I would like to jump my horse, but probably not competitively. I also want a horse that is comfy and can gallop over grassy terrain and is pretty tolerable with other horses. If I can be picky, I would really want a buckskin-colored horse. I was thinking a Morgan? Thank you!
Answers:
Check with an equine veterinarian in your community.
I would try a hanovarian or a courter horse thogh are beautiful perfect horses
Sea Horse.
Adopt a mustang, they are smart, survivors! Handle all terrain, make fantastic endurance horses, hooves are sound and rarely require shoes, just a good trim or rasping, sensible and dependable. I have made Trail horses and hunters of them and won at shows on their merits which no one can contest! Either they do the routine and perform well or not and no amount of pedigree will produce that! While you are learning what you like to focus on in horsemanship and deciding which breed you would prefer, you just might find yourself in love with the endearing loyal American Mustang--they come in all colors! Buckskin amongst them!
Tennessee Walkers are supposed to be the most comfortable to ride, and they can also be trained to jump. Quarter horses are good all around horses. Thoroughbreds are used in racing but they can be a handful.
I love my Morgans!! They truly are the best hearted horses I have ever worked with. I don't ride English, but they do everything I have needed %26 did it well!! I have 151 acres in WY. %26 Let me tell you I work them!! There is always something to do, so they get put to work. I have carts that they pull. I have used them to move trees, they were very large trees!! My brother has even used his to help tow my dads truck home. I have rode mine on a 45 mile ride %26 did great. But I know more than 60 Morgans have competed successfully in recognized USDF open dressage competitions at 3rd level %26 higher. Here is a good web site to read about them if you like. www.morganhorse.com
I think it is a good breed to read about %26 see if you really would like to own one. I love mine!! Good luck!
I own a 16hh mare! They are not all short.
It all depends what you are going to do if you just want a trail horse, fun show, rodeo horse, or if it's your fist horse go with QUARTER HORSES geldings are nicer. If you wan to jump are race get a Thoroughbred not Arabians
Oh oh oh get an Appendix Quarter horse.
Thourouhbred/Quater horse mix
They are great jumpers.
http://www.americanappendix.com/...
http://www.equine.com/horses/search_resu...
http://www.equine.com/
you shouldn't really be trying to single a breed out as a rule, but if you wanted something nice and flowing yet not too boisterous, then a Morgan would be nice, it depends on what your looking for size wise; my little Riding Pony is an ace jumper when he wants to be and hes only 15 hh, also my mums 18.2 hh Shire cross is absolutely fantastic . . . it depends on the horse every breed has its rogues . . . gud luk
Either a Morgan or a Quarter Horse I think.
I don't think you should look into a specific breed, because there's a pretty small chance you'll be able to find a perfect horse for you if you exclude all but one or two breeds. If you were to look into getting a specific breed you should talk to your riding instructor about a suitable breed for your discipline.
I myself ride horses and i live in the west! I recomend getting a palomeno or a Tenisee walking horse! They are both compatible and sweet!
A Morgan would be great! Though I'm partial to half-drafts as jumpers. Good personalites, though a bit quirky :) Here are BEAUTIFUL buckskin jumpers that a friend of mine sold, Carson and Raynier.
http://www.rideadraft.com/horses_sold.ht...
arabians are awsome with jumping..if you get the right arab then you could be able to do all sorts of things with it...some are trained to jump,trail ride, show, everything you could think of.thats wat my arabian is getting trained for..and so far she is totally awsome and can do most anything...of course if there is another horse around.but it depends on how picky you are...
The question your asking is a tuff one to answer. Majority of people will give you a answer to there own prefrence of breed that they either have or love or want one. You will do well with any breed you choose to pick. Just shop for one. Make sure you ride it and enjoy it. Make sure you feel a good connection and you feel comfortable. Theres rotten horses in every breed just like there is rotten people but not all people are rotten. Don't pick a specific breed, pick a horse that his characteristics meets your needs.
As previously mentioned in a couple of answers- I agree that you should not necessarily go after 1 breed over another. Your answers on the best breed for you are the opinion of what horse that particular person likes, which may not be for you.
I would do your home work, take your time, try out horses that are suitable for what your are planing to ask of them and suitable for your ridding ability and experience. The more horses you try out, the better chance of finding that "perfect match".
Yes, I would stick to the more mild tempered breeds in your search, Morgans and QH's are good, but even a TB or Arab can surprise you- just depends on their personality and training.
Try out as many as you can in your area- you'll find out the answer to your question yourself!
Good luck with your soon to be new horse!
Breed doesn't really matter that much if the horse suits you in temperament and size, and has reasonable athletic ability. I have a soft spot for paints and Quarter Horses, but that's just me.
Wow umm they are all pretty great.
Quarter Horse
Walking horse
Standerd Bred
Mustangs
But make sure your comfatable with the horse you buy.
Good luck.
It truly depends on your budget, and the fact you aren't sure if you want to compete or not.
The most perfect horse I ever rode was an Oldenburgh, a warmblood. They are calm and decidedly responsive, but are expensive. They also belong in the show ring, I believe. The Oldenburg I rode was already seventeen, but most of his early life was spent in a grand prix showjumping ring and in his teens as a level 4 Dressage. Yes, they are perfect and rarely have I encountered one with bad habits. But i'm not into perfect horses :P
I'm not a fan of Arabians. Nor of Arabian crosses. So even though I have ridden and been around many, I wouldn't be one to ask without biased opinion lol
I always wanted a thoroughbred up until a year ago, when one threw me over her head into a fence post around a tight corner. She was an ex-racer, only three years off the track. I think it shows something that all the times I have been thrown off it's been while riding a thoroughbred. They are crazy, and I do love them for their energy, but I would recommend a confident, advanced rider unless you find a rare gem gelding (or even mare, i've met a few) who is calm and collected. Excellent jumpers, but i wouldn't say entirely comfortable.
Quarterhorses are darlings, most of the time. A dressage QH I trained and later refreshed had the biggest attitude problem I have ever seen, bucked like crazy. But he was probably the only one I have ever met like that. They are on the lower end of the spectrum in regards to pricing, but aren't the most worthwhile jumpers. In my own opinion, I think they are pretty darn comfortable.
And for a mix, the Appendix. My favorite horse of ALL time was an Appendix gelding. I loved him and would have bought him if the owner who I leased him from would have allowed it. They tend to have the best from both the Thoroughbred and QH. I would totally recommend one.
Morgans are good, sturdy horses. Majority of those I have known, however, have not been confident really. They are willing to learn and push to learn. Good horses. Friendly.
Depending how tall you are, ponies are great too. I'm 5'2", and I used to jump a Haflinger gelding who was awesome. Connemaras are wonderful, they remind me of warmbloods, but like i said i've never been into perfect horses. Draft crosses tend to be excellent jumpers or typically any discipline you set them to. Full drafts tend not to be so bad either, but i've known plenty of people who get on an 18hh clyde-belgian cross and get freaked out once they start cantering..
Also Paint horses have been great jumpers, and are generally comfortable and easy going.
Just check out www.dreamhorse.com and fill in all the details you'd like in the Advanced Search option. Don't be too picky-- you won't yield many results.

I hope I helped a little!
A morgan would be a great choice ive been told that theyre good jumpers and they r really smooth!!
I own 3 walking horses and ive never had anything other then them but i have ridden other breeds. I love the smooth gait and that you can show and trail ride this breed. They have great bloodlines and they are amazing I wouldnt change it for the world!
hey,
first of all, stay away from stallions as your first horse. Also you need to consider how tall you are and how you would fit the horse. Im thinking quarter horse is proably the best way for you to go, they have a great personality, are very gentle exellent jumpers,they are very comfy. I say Quarter horse but you should find a coach to find you a horse the coach knows you better and can proably find a perfect match before you get a horse make sure to have a vet look it over.
good luck
I just got my first horse a few months ago and i got a Polish Arabian. I bought him because he isn't wired as tight as most Arabians. My friend jumps her horse and she bought a appendix quarter horse. that is quarter horse Thoroughbred mix(sorry about the spelling). He is tall but he is kind and intelligent like a quarter horse. Good luck!
yes a morgan is a wonderful idea did you know they have the longest neck out of all breeds of horses?
Look in the direction of your likes. Sounds as if you know what you want. Check at reputable horse farms/tack and feed stores. when you go out to see a horse, make sure that the owner rides him first so you can see and judge the gaits, how the horse responds etc. have the horse vet checked.
If the owner has a record of worming program or vet bills, get a copy or call the vet that took care of the horse. Take your time so you make the right purchase.
Morgans are nice, buts its hard to find a buckskin. I have a Morgan in real life, and work for my instructor who is a 5x + world champion in the morgan horse circuit, and Morgans are very enjoyable horses to work around, and they can do every discapline from dressage, cross country, cutting to combined driving. But there are so many breeds to choose from. Stock horses such as your Quarter Horses, Paint Horses, and Appaloosas make nice over all horses. Quarter Horses are a nice breed, they come in all shapes sizes and colors and can do almost everything. Its quite common to find duns and buckskins in this breed as well. I myself have a buckskin Quarter Horse. Mustangs are very hardy, and can do a variety of things, and they come in just about every color there is. They just wouldn't be as competitivley valuable as your Thoroughbreds or warmbloods, plus you'd have to spend quite a while training a mustang. Mules are nice too, they come in all colors, and despite their stereo type of being stouborn they are actually smarter than horses, and you can show them in Mule and Donkey Shows if you wanted too. There are Mule shows in my home town and they do everything from hunter jumper, trail, driving, donkey barrel racing, free style reining, and even dressage. You could also go with an Arabian, they are very beautiful, gentle natured horses, but its hard to find a buckskin in them. But that gives you a start. I recomend trying out a few different horses of different breeds, and doing research on different breeds as well. Take you time though, dont rush into buying a horse or else you might end up with a terrible mount. This happend to me alot when I was little, my dad would always buy the first horse we came to. You could also try horses like Paso Finos, which you can find in just about every color, or Tennesee Walkers or Missourie Fox Trotters who are all very smooth. I would recomend a Paso Fino over the others though.

Morgan
Quarter Horse
Arabian
Mule
Paso Fino
Mustang (not my highest recomendation)

No comments:

Post a Comment