Sunday, August 2, 2009

I cant believe some people get away with this...?

I was asked to go look at a pony a friend had paid 1500 quid for as a 14.2 14yr old,100% ideal first pony.My god she is in her late twenties early 30s very poor,Mud fever upto her arm pits totally Lame,Anyway your getting the picture.I suggested firstly the vet to come out,then to stop the cheque,it seems they paid a small charge un cashed it immedately. this poor old mare has had a major trauma on one side broken Pelvis a shaft into her neck un shoulder,it makes me sick to the stomach thinking about the pain she must of been,Anyway shes been with me 6wks now has tripled her size,had Heather Dunning out (the best lady in the world if your a horse is in pain) is always going to be stiff but is very happy now retired.If we can keep her upright in winter she will stay till her last breath,Pain free un very much loved.I just wish we could put the Bast...s to sleep that keep doing this sort of thing.
Answers:
Such a horrific story, but it raises two questions.
FIRSTLY:
This mare is an old lady and was in obvious pain. I love horses and in fact all animals to distraction (well except scorpions) but I believe that one responsibility we have as owners is to decide when it is kinder to euthanase.
It is clear you have the facilities to be able to treat this old girl, but would it have been kinder to let her go?
SECONDLY:
If your friend is as inexperienced as she clearly appears from your blog, would it not be a good idea to scold her gently? Whilst deliberate abuse is reprehensible, lack of experience can also lead to abuse and neglect. Maybe you should advise your friend to invest first in some Horse Husbandry courses.
I live on the Continent and have been appalled by friends with horses who really do not know the basics of looking after these magnificent animals.
thats rly nyyc wot yoov dun nd that buh wots yur question?
is that a question? But, that is terrible.
That's outrageous, they should be put in jail for such cruelty. I'm so glad that you've taken her and you're giving her the care and treatment that she really needs. Old girl deserves some kindness.
I agree with you totally!
We have rescued many animals of all sorts: Dogs, Horses, Cats.and have rung the RSPCA so many times that I have lost count!
It's sickening to think what pain animals go through just because of man-kind!
Why don't people think before they act...animals have feelings too!
Well done for taking on this horse and giving her the love and care she needs!
x
I hope these people were reported to the authorities?
I am a retired horse wrangler/rancher/dealer from North Carolina. Unfortunately this goes on in the horse trade and there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it. As soon as you close one down another shoddy dealer comes along. Much of our time was dedicated to horse and pony rescue and rehabilitation. I commend you on your efforts. The best defense for this is an educated consumer. Never buy a horse until you as the buyer get it vetted by your OWN vet. Take no ones word for anything. Demand current medical documentation of recent shots, diseases and existing conditions ie. heaves, chronic colic, EPM, EPSM etc. If at anytime you as the buyer are unsure, pass up the deal.
Thank you on behalf of the honest Horse People .
Meanwhile many elderly people spend their lives looking at the four walls, seeing nobody except a care worker for 15 minutes a couple of times a day as they get them up and put them to bed.
Many are so lonely and miserable they hope to die as soon as possible.
Still, as long as we take care of the ponies eh?
I so agree with you and Bless You for saving this poor old soul. Horses have feelings and emotions too, and I am sure she is so relieved to have you taking care of her.
I also rescue horses, ponies, and dogs, and have an old gelding that had so many scars on him, a broken hip, and only a few teeth left. The vet aged him at 30 years, 5 years ago, and he is still going strong on watered down pellets, senior feed, and lots of love . He gets to roam free on my 40 acre ranch, although he doesn't go too far from the barn and the other horses. We have pretty severe winters here, so he comes in to the barn when the temps start changing.
Your special lady should do fine this winter, just make sure she gets plenty of hay, senior feed, fresh water, and cover. Great job!!!
P.S. Yes, I'd like to hang some of these imbeciles by their toenails, but unfortunately they continue to abuse animals, children, and senior citizens and get away with it. We can support those organizations that support and help the abused.
thats why you get a horse vetted before you buy them,glad your helping her and good luck
Horses are our gift.
A Miracle from god.
A friend from trust.
A present, a gift.
OMG the have issues!
Nobody should let a horse get in that state but it does show that if you are not experienced you need to take someone with you when buying a horse and have it vetted.
.Well done ,it is so refreshing to hear ,someone with a positive outlook and giving this pony a chance it so deserves,so many people would have put this pony down without a second thought,i also agree the person who did this should suffer the same as this little mare. once again well done and i hope she makes it. good luck
Poor little thing! It makes me mad that people do things like this to innocent animals!
*Barrel Racer*
Thank goodness you are looking after her now and she can end her days in peace.
When I was looking to buy a horse most were not as described and between 10-20% were unsound. Even having them vetted is no failsafe as I ended up with a horse with wobblers who was eventually put down. I now have one that was "rescued" from being put down but I got to know him before I bought him.
It's a minefield out there... so many dishonest people
thank god the mare has found someone to love and care for her poor poor pony
I'm sorry. Try senior feed with weight builder for the winter on her. Give her a blanket. I CANNOT BEALIVE PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH THIS CRUELTY! It sounds like someone was beating her. Oh my goodness, I just cried a little. Poor horse. Just love her and take her in a stall most winter with continous food. And a heated water bucket. Good luck!
-Lexie
I hate people that abuse horses, then sell them to the unsuspecting. It's wrong to abuse an animal, and then you go sell it and make someone else take care of the poor thing? People that abuse horses should be put in a small pen with an angry stallion...
She's lucky she has someone like you to take care of her, I wish you and her the best of luck.
first off can I congratulate you for being this pony's saviour and giving her a happy home in which she is loved and cared for.
I totally agree with you on the basis of how animals, not just horses, can be treated - it seems unjustified that you need a licence to drive a car or for something as trivial as a tv or radio - yet ANY old fool can own an animal.
These people are in my opinion the scum of the earth - an animal is a defenceless innocent creature that cant ask for help. It breaks my heart to see them being treated this way and I have the number for the ISPCA (Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) on speed dial on my phone and never resist in dialling it to help an animal in need or distress.
Again well done on rescuing this pony and I wish you all the best for in the future. Give her a hug for me!
xx
Omg that is sooooo cruel, people should be loacked away for doin stuff like that if they harm animals like protected 1s like bats we would get sent 2 court so ppl shud do that with horses!!good luck with the pony hope she has a better life with u!xxx
oooh my god
i am so glad that the pony is with you now and that it is on its way to being happy and healthy again.
There is a reason you get horses vetted b4 buying them!! If the horse was in that poor condition the ISPCA could have been contacted instead of rewarding the culprits by buying it from them!
Just think of it this way, you paid that money to rescue her, forget about the money and give her all the TLC you can. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment