Sunday, August 2, 2009

I am interested in using a muzzle to limit grazing. What kind works best, do they really work at all?

My running horse gets a grass belly so easy. I don't like keeping her up all the time. I want to turn her out more, but out grass is so thick and tall. I just don't have an area to turn out that she can't constantly eat.
Answers:
I use a "Best Friend" brand grazing muzzle on my pony in the spring and fall. It has a plastic disk on the bottom with a small hole for grazing/drinking and the sides are a basket weave of nylon straps, so there are lots of air holes. It comes either with a built in halter, or in a version that snaps to your own halter with plastic quick release buckles (that's the kind I have). I've had it for about 6 years now. I think one of the nylon straps in the "bucket" part of the muzzle has broken, but it has not effected how it stays on and works.
I also use electric tape fencing to subdivide my pasture into 3 smaller areas.
i think that you should graze her with a halter and lead rope on, and hold her. her time eating wont be as much then. if you want her to be out more... is it your barn or a boarding barn? if its your barn, do you ride in an arena, if so you can turn her out in there after your done riding. if its a boarding barn there should be a service that turns you horse out and you can ask that they turn her out in an arena and not a grass paddock. hope that helps:]
I would first suggest turning your horse out in a place without grass (such as a dirt paddock or a ring as long as the area and fence are safe).
If that is not an option then turning a horse out is much better for their health than keeping them in all day. A muzzle is an option you could try. I have had success on a very easy keeper with a muzzle. I would suggest a couple of things. First, make sure the muzzle fits properly. Second, it needs to be one that is easy to drink through! You need ot make sure a horse is easily able to drink water. Third, do not leave the muzzle on for excessive periods of time. Fourth, you want to avoid muzzles that have strong wire in the front. When a horse tries to graze with these they will often end up chipping their front teeth. Finally you want to make sure your pasture is completely safe with nothing the horse could get the muzzle caught on.
The key to using one is not to overuse it and to make sure it fits properly. I hope this helps.
I only know of two kinds of grazing muzzles. There is the one that can be converted from a cribbing muzzle to a grazing muzzle my moving a flap or rings. I've never seen that kind in person. The one that I have used is a straight grazing muzzle, that comes in two variations. One comes with a built in halter, the other has snaps that connect to the horses halter. I have only used the one with the built in halter. I got it because I was in the same situation. My pony was getting fat on grass, but I didn't want to keep her in. The grazing muzzle has only a small hole to eat/drink from. They do work. It helped slim down my pony, that is until she figured how to get her pasture mate to take it off for her. Her pasture mate loves getting into things and will grab the other horse's halter and try to lead them around with it.
muzzles work for some horses. usually the not too clever. some take really badly to them an make it their mission to remove them. if i was to use one i wouldnt get a plastic one, fabric is much more giving...breathable. what about strip grazing the field? does she share a field...?good luck
I WOULD FENCE OFF A whoah caps lock! a small portion of the feild and just have her eat that to stubble then you can turn her out all the time! or you could just leave her out there and dont give her any hay or grain, make sure you check te field frequently though and once she starts eating it all up then you may need to put out a bale of hay as a supplement
good luck! i wish i had fields as nice as yours!!
you could mow the grass shorter so that she can't get a hold of it easy. but if it's a huge field you can put her in a pasture somewhere that doesn't have a lot of grass in it and feed her more oats more healthy things like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment