Sunday, August 2, 2009

I cannot feel safe on a lunge line, is there a way to make me feel safe on one?

When someone else is in control of the horse I'm riding I just cannot make myself feel safe/comfortable so whenever the trainer tries to put me on one to help with something I freeze up. I think part of it is that I have always ridden horses who like to run, and therefore I don't feel like I can be alright unless I have the reins in my hands and /I'm/ in control of everything.
Does anyone have any idea how I could become more comfortable riding on a lunge line?
Answers:
Have you addressed this with your instructor? Really talked about how afraid you are feeling in that situation?
If you have and your instructor has not offered you help then I would ask your instructor if you could start with that extra rein as described before. Keep hold of a rein, not taunt enough to interfere with the the instructors queues but enough to where you feel you can take control if something were to happen. Have your instructor work with you this way until you feel confident enough to release that rein. YOU have to be willing to push yourself though, don't take the lesson and refuse to let go of it. If you have been going around for 5 minutes this way you need to tell yourself that you are safe and can push through the fear so that you can progress forward.
Good luck
I think it's just going to take time and trust in your trainer that he/she will not push you past your limit. Just start slow and progress when you are ready to, don't allow the trainer to pressure you if you aren't comfortable. I mean, you will have to be pushed a little to make progress, but as you do it more often, you will gain the confidence to move forward.
Try to sit back and relax. Or clip some reins to the halter you don't have to use them just so you know that you know that if the horse goes too fast you can pull back on the reins.
Well the running joke at my barn is that when someone is nervous, they should have a tequila shot.
Of course this is a joke and neither safe nor practical. ;)
However-- it does make you think. Why is it that we do things under the influence of alcohol that we wouldn't do otherwise??
B/c we lose our inhibitions that keep us in the 'control' mode.
I have this same problem of feeling 'unsafe' on a lunge. This is VERY obviously a controll issue of mine; I don't trust my instructor to keep my horse from running of, I feel like I'm not safe or in control w/o the reins, etc.
The best advise I can give you is that it takes practice practice practice!!!
I would sign yourself up for a lunge-lesson program with your instructor. 6 weeks or more!! 1 lunge lesson a week.
Start with walking. Do VERY basic games- arm stretches, leg stretches, touch ears, etc. Go back to basics. Fix your position. Work on deep breathing, posture, feeling footfalls. Work on doing a half halt through your seat, not the reins.
You're probably thinking "I already know that" which may be true!! Its not about learning those things. Its about learning to be OK with lunging.
Once you're OK at the walk to do a half-halt, then you'll know you're ready for trot. Start with your same excersises activities you did at walk, doing them at walk again. Pick your FAVORITE one that you're most comfortable with and do that at trot. WHen you've got that down and feel safe, add another excersise at trot, and so on.
Again, when you can successfully half-halt from trot to walk down to halt through your SEAT ONLY, then you can add bits of canter into your lunging.
This may take a week. This may take months.
Don't forget- this isn't about re-learning things you already knew. ITs about learning to be comfortable not being in control.

Here's my little side note: Being in constant fear of being out-of-control does not just effect your riding. It effects every part of your life.
I Have some serious control issues in life that I'm learning to let go of one by one.
Doing what I described above helped me be less controlling in my riding.
And learning to let go of THAT piece of controll has allowed me to slowly become more relaxed in my life. And it has been a wonderful thing!

Try the lunging techniques. Allow it to really work and keep at it with an instructor and horse you trust until you feel confident enough to do walk/trot/canter on the lunge, hands out in airplane position or on your hips. When you can do that (and cue all three gaits from your seat alone) then you are really able to relax and enjoy being 'one' with the horse.
until you get into your comfort zone, are you allowed to hold onto some mane or the front of the saddle? When I'm lunging someone, I tell them if they ever feel unsafe or feel like they're sliding off, to grab onto some mane and let me know when this happens so we can stop and correct the issue
try holding on to some mane. BREATHE and you can always keep a long rein on the horse and not come into contact with the horses mouth if need to also. good luck and hope this helps
There is some great advice on this site:
http://www.positivelyriding.com/home.htm...
Maybe you are pushing yourself too hard.
Part of the joy of riding is surrendering some control. We may think we are 'in control' of a horse, but in truth we are merely guiding him.
I'm a great advocate of Natural HorseManShip. Check out the link for advise (and order a free DVD which may inspire you):
http://www.parelli.com/content.faces...
Good luck...
Lunging is absolutely the best way for you to learn your seat and to move fluidly with the horse. Practice, and lots of it, with a trustworthy horse and your trainer will ease your fear.
When I first started lunging I was a nervous wreck too, however I grew to love it. I beg for someone to lunge me! It allows me to focus entirely on me, my seat and my ques.
Keep at it, trust your trainer and know that you will develop the best body posture lunging than you ever will with reins and irons.
It will take time but getting to know the horse your riding wil help %26 move at your own pace don't let anyone or anything set the pace for you. Hope I helped !
working with a trainer in line is a really good thing. it gives you time to work on balance and work with your legs. we used to train with our hands out straight at our sides jumping and all.do more ground work on line and start with walking walking walking.. then a small trot and you should loose the fears. remember it gives you a huge opportunity to use your legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment